StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any trip and route suggestions. Three of us have been discussing the possibility of a 3-4 day trip this summer out of the Toronto area.
:var_21:

The broad parameters are:
1) - ideally, we don't want to spend "too much time" on the highway,
2) - no rough-ish terrain (the 2 other bikes are a Triumph roadster and Honda cruiser), and
3) - no camping ... hotel/motel/cottage/B&B only (gettin' too old to pitch a tent after a full day's ride).

Although I'm an old fart, I'm very new to riding (took the course/got my license last summer), so it's all brand new to me. So aside from trip/route suggestions, any and all general travel tips are more than welcome. Also, if it makes any difference, as the Triumph won't be able carry too much stuff, my 650 will undoubtedly end up being the "pack mule" of the trip.

Thanks, in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Penn has great riding as does the Adirondacks with lots to see and interesting places to stay.

also: it's nice to have helmet communicators to talk to each other while riding. If you leave the province, then make sure you all get additional medical coverage as OHIP dos not cover many things in other provinces.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
For 3-4 days Highlands would probably be the best choice, but it's not much farther to get to Adirondacks as well.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
What kind of mileage are you planning on doing each day? Knowing a comfortable range will give us an idea on where you could get too :)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Circle the Great Lakes

Circling Lake Ontario is best done hugging the shore,
both in New York State and in Ontario. Visit Prince Edward County.

Circling Lake Erie, ditto, except use US-62 to explore southern NY and
western central PA. You can try to catch the ferry from Sandusky Ohio
to Leamington Ontario. I failed, so I had to ride the most miserable
part of Michigan, I-75 from Toledo to Detroit. Do just about anything
to avoid the Ambassador Bridge, but don't try to use the tunnel - no bikes!

Circling Lake Huron is the most fun. Go up the Bruce Peninsula, and ride
Chi-Chee-Maun to Manitoulin Island. When you use the Big Mackinac Bridge
coming south, tend to keep in the right lane because the grid there is less
challenging than the grid in the left lane ... or it was in 2009.

I have yet to circle Lakes Michigan and Superior,
but I hope to before they go the way of the Aral Sea and dry up.

Enjoy your ride ... of course you will, you are on a Strom!
Keith

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of mileage are you planning on doing each day? Knowing a comfortable range will give us an idea on where you could get too :)
Good question. I'm not sure, but would guess that
about 500 km a day should be reasonable?

Also, a cabin destination with a day of fishing
wouldn't be such a bad thing. :yesnod:

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Heavy and I did some weekend rides into PA a few (too many!) years ago. He picked some wonderful roads to ride on! Great route planner!

Heavy: Wykoff Rd. I think that was the one road we found that wasn't on the route and it turned out to be amazing! I was looking for it last year when riding down there with Sandy but couldn't remember where it was or the name.

..Yom

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good question. I'm not sure, but would guess that
about 500 km a day should be reasonable?

Also, a cabin destination with a day of fishing
wouldn't be such a bad thing. :yesnod:
Well then PA sounds like it would be a great spot for you and it would be about 500km to get to the heart of the best areas. Then spend a day or two riding around the area and then ride home on last day. If you had the time, then you could swing east a bit and head over to Allegheny National Forest which has some very nice riding as well. Gas, food and lodgings are much cheaper there, even with the exchange rate.

The Wykoff Run Road that Yom speaks of is here:http://goo.gl/maps/u6fhI - it's a fantastic road. There is a nice state park nearby with good fishing (camping but no cabins) at Kettle Creek State Park. The ride up to Hyner Mountain State Park is also a really great ride with a beautiful view up top. I have seen both bear and deer up there. This route shows how close Wykoff Run Rd (A&B) is to Kettle Creek (C) to Hyner State Park (D): http://goo.gl/maps/fMQHk

Here is a route I did last year that was more mileage than you plan to do each day, but covered many of the better roads in the PA area.
Day 1: http://goo.gl/maps/W900m
Day 2: http://goo.gl/maps/hJB3a

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I change my vote to PA, on the way back from WV we did the Aleghany's and it was AWESOME!

just watch out for all the Harleys on 666... and try not to piss them off like I did! lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Just came back from 4 days /3 nights in the Highlands and I would highly recommend the area. The roads were great and the scenery was beautiful.

We (4 riders) rented a 3 bedroom cabin in Barry's Bay on Carson Lake. We used the cabin as our base and did a series of loops each day. PM me if you would like some more info.

Kind regards,

Todd

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I Just came back from 4 days /3 nights in the Highlands and I would highly recommend the area. The roads were great and the scenery was beautiful.

We (4 riders) rented a 3 bedroom cabin in Barry's Bay on Carson Lake. We used the cabin as our base and did a series of loops each day. PM me if you would like some more info.

Kind regards,

Todd
It woud be great if you posted some Google Maps of the roads you travelled on or GPS tracks.

..Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts