StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding along and suddenly no headlights. Everything seems connected. Is there a relay in there that may have gone bad? Suggestions are very welcome.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
No relay. Are both low beams and high beams affected? If so, the usual suspects are the normally closed contacts on the starter switch, unless you have a 2004 or earlier model, the large connector with a rubber cover inside the left cowling, and the connector behind the radiator. The weakness of the connections and switches involved make adding relays a good idea. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html#h4dual is a good set.

If only hi or lo is affected, check the fuses or the selector switch on the handlebar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My bike did the same thing some time ago. It was the starter switch. I sprayed lubricant and pressed it a couple times. It has been fine since.

Every now and then, I give it another squirt.

I am sure there are better ways to fix this but it worked for me. I may regret it some day but for now...

·
Registered
176 Posts
My bike did the same thing some time ago. It was the starter switch. I sprayed lubricant and pressed it a couple times. It has been fine since.

I am sure there are better ways to fix this but it worked for me. I may regret it some day but for now...
Yes, I think a better way is to use Radio Cleaner, it is not a lubricant which can suck in the dust. You can find some at Radio Shack, probably Best Buy and Wal-Mart as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Question on this...Are you talking about the switch on the grip? Or the actually started down below.

Thanks to everybody for the help. I'm diggin' in today.

Rick

·
Registered
176 Posts
He probably meant on the grip. I know a guy that was riding another bike that didn't have any headlights on, turns out the switch was kind of stuck between low and high beams and just needed a cleaning with radio cleaner spray (not WD-40).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
starter switch

mine is toast also , suzuki will waranty it as there are lots of them failing> [$138] lights dont work unless you ticlkle the starter switch , a slight touch works better than a full push

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fix

Radio shack electronics cleaner did the job. Squirted the switch on the grip an couple of times and no more problem.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This has now happened to me a few days ago, its really annoying. Riding along and suddenly no head lights. I can use the pass button to flash the high beam, but no lights apart from that.

I have squirted the controls on both handlebars and still nothing. Done a continuity check between the switches, head lights and fuse box.

No shorts everything works as it should. Fuses ok, lamps have working filaments. No breaks in the circuit.
Swopped in some new lamps, still nothing. When I stick a multimeter into the lamp sockets I get correct voltages, as I flip the light switch from low to high beam voltages swop over correctly to the right filaments, however unable to measure the voltage with the lamps in place (I could do with an extra hand for that)

I have to assume the voltage drops to zero with the lamps in, but I'm stuck on what could be causing it. I can't find a single problem on the head light circuit so it much be something elsewhere, anyone able to suggest anything?

The switches on the handle bars are once again drying out after squirting cleaner in them.

Must be a short somewhere but I don't know where to look. One idea I have is that it could be something in the dashboard causing a volt drop. I did notice the overdrive light was coming on sometimes in the wrong gears (usually 2nd)

Running out of ideas here...

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The contacts could pass enough current to work the meter but fail under the current load of the lights. The weak spots are the starter button on '05 and later bikes, the large connector under the rubber cover in the left side of the fairing, and the connector behind the radiator. I really consider headlight relays a must have item. http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=05002&Category_Code=dl1000_electrical is another source.
Yes of course, you could be right. :)

Something failing under load conditions and you have given me several areas to check. I think it's something trivial that maybe just needs a clean I will have a look, thanks for the suggestions ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok got my lights fixed, it was corrosion on the high/low LHS handlebar switch contacts. It may be worth me stripping both sides down ever so often to clean them out. I already have had the microswitch fail on the RHS break lever and that was caused by dirty contacts on the microswitch.

I also discovered that just spraying them may not fix the problem and they need pulling to bits and the contacts scrubbing to clean them.

Minor problem but something I need to be aware of ;-)

·
38,048 Posts
That's an unusual place for a problem to come up because most people don't use it much and it will undergo less arcing.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
No relay. Are both low beams and high beams affected? If so, the usual suspects are the normally closed contacts on the starter switch, unless you have a 2004 or earlier model, the large connector with a rubber cover inside the left cowling, and the connector behind the radiator. The weakness of the connections and switches involved make adding relays a good idea. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html#h4dual is a good set.

If only hi or lo is affected, check the fuses or the selector switch on the handlebar.
greywolf, you reckon this is a good idea if I've upgraded to high-output beams? I put in a set of Sylvania Silverlights; the automotive ones (H4 is the number I think). They've been in for over a year now, no problems, but the other morning the lights flickered out for just a second as I switched from Low to High and back. I wonder if I'm drawing more current and it's overloading the switch?

·
38,048 Posts
IMHO, the stock system is overloaded. I heartily recommend a headlight relay kit. Adventure Motostuff and Eastern Beaver are the places I've seen that carry them.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
photos of the parts that wear out

here are pics of the contacts that wear or burn out , the 2 nibs on the starter button rest on 2 contacts when the bike is running , when you push the button it moves to the other 2 to start the bike . i think as an emergency fix if cleaning didnt work you could shave some plastic away from the area around the contact so a connection would be made . other than loseing your lights even worse would be the bike not starting .

Attachments

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
here are pics of the contacts that wear or burn out , the 2 nibs on the starter button rest on 2 contacts when the bike is running , when you push the button it moves to the other 2 to start the bike . i think as an emergency fix if cleaning didnt work you could shave some plastic away from the area around the contact so a connection would be made . other than loseing your lights even worse would be the bike not starting .
Chris, you are absolutely correct on this. I lost my lights and starter due to switch failure on my way home from the Gaspé yesterday. I was fortunate in that I could jump start the bike and get it to a dealer nearby. They had an excellent mechanic, (who only spoke French, but I understood a little), who had the switch apart, hot wired the headlights so they would work and cleaned the contacts of the starter side of the switch enough to get me home.

What specifics can you tell me about the warranty of the switch?

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
warranty

my 07 has a 3 year free suzuki warranty , i was on vacation when the lights failed . i took it to the first dealer i came to . they agreed it was the switch , ordered me one and sent it to me on the bus . the switch costs $140 bucks . they paid for shipping because i wanted to change it myself as they are 3 hour ride from me . its quite a struggle to disconect as it joins the wireing harness up in behind the radiator . also they told me i was the second person in a week to have the same issue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts