StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low speed idle circuit on my 2005 650 is not working properly and I will delve into the adjustment procedure soon with a multi meter to check the TP voltage as per the workshop manual.

I saw a Youtube video from a British rider who fixed a seized STVA shaft with extraction, cleaning and coating with rubber grease. He used rubber grease because of O rings in the assembly and did not want the seals to swell from using petroleum grease.

I am sure my butterflys and shafts are rotating freely as there is no error code and the only symptom is low idle speed on cold start.

If my shafts turn freely as expected I don't want to remove them but wonder if a squirt of silicone spray where the shaft comes into the throttle body throat would be of any use and if it would have any affect on the O rings if it travels that far along the shaft

·
Registered
3016 DL1000 ABS
487 Posts
Afaik silicone grease or spray are both rubber friendly.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I didn't know it at the time but when I had my bike down for a makeover at the end, when I was putting it all back together, I noticed the secondaries were very stiff which turned out to be bad seals. I just squirted them with WD40 to free them and got my bike running again. A thousand miles later and they were stiff again plus I was having idle issues so I pulled the throttle bodies and discovered the bad shaft seals. HERE. In my case the primary and secondary seals were shot and the primary shafts were worn beyond repair so I had to replace the throttle bodies. This was a K7 with 80K miles and the worn shafts was probably due to mileage but the seals probably due to age. If you have a lot of miles on a 14 year old bike the easiest fix might be a swap with a used TB set from ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts