StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searchign for this occurance and came up empty so hoping get soem stromtrooper wisdom =)

---

Bike is stroed outside... no tender as it is a condo complex *sigh*

Noticed it this winter when my battery got low from sittign outside in the snow for a few weeks.

If I run my Oxford heaters 100% my voltmeter shows 13.2V a little lower than I would expect but I shut off the oxfords I go right up to 13.5-13.6 ok...

real pickle is when I am riding on the freeway 4000RPM I am good still showing 13.2 but once i get closer to 5000 or higher my voltage goes lower :headbang:

Makes no sense to me as I figure higher revs voltmeter shoudl be reading higher instead it is the opposite.... has anyone else experienced this ... battery is pushing 3 years old but since it shows good volts with the heated gear off even at idle I am just confused.

I have checked contacts and they are good so it is not wiring that I can find playing games with me.

Little help ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Charging systems work best at a certain RPM. Voltage can drop off somewhat above that RPM. I think your first step is to ride down to a parts store that can load test your battery. If the battery is OK then you need to diagnose if it is the regulator or stator. Hope it is the battery. I just replaced the regulator and stator this winter. It's not a terrible job, but for a total novice like me its a bit of a pain, but with help from this site you can get through it. But not having an indoor space to work on it is a problem. I'm sure Greywolf will chime in with a more expert opinion.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I got nuthin.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
Watching the values change on my read out, it goes as high as 14.3 volts. It will vary depending on the load and the rpm. Above 4-5K rpm it should be as high as it's gonna get.
The voltage will drop lower when the battery doesn't need more or the charging system is satisfied with it's usage state. That's why it's called a voltage regulator. It cycles with the load.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
On my '03, I had some issues with voltage swings prior to losing the next R/R...

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
With oem load, my voltage is 14.8 anywhere above idle - all the time.

My volt meter has its own wiring directly to the battery terminals. If yours doesn't, it's sharing other loads through marginal sized wire.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
voltage regulator

voltage regulator (or R/R) is the only answer that makes sense

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good

- Will get the battery load tested just to be sure I think I will pull it and bring it inside to tender it overnight. Better safe than sorry

- If load test succeeds and battery is good I will then test the resistence on the stator runs... I have experience doing that and a service manual. it is always wierd to run the bike while testing stator wires for out put but no matter.

- Voltmeter is sharing the run that my Heated grips are using for the fuse box it was reading much higher before until the last couple months so will see about doing a new power run to get it on its own.

----

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Conclusion

This is an old topic but I hate leaving the book open on things....

I load tested the battery and sure enough the draw was below 9V on cranking:headbang:

I drove down to batteriesplus who has a store right in my neighborhood and replaced it with a new battery. Voltages are now much better 13.67 on 45mph highways ... 13.4 - 13.6 on the freeway commutes at 70.

I do want to swap the regulator out one of these days but for now the stock gear at 33k is still working just fine:thumbup: I really do need to do a stator run test on the wires to see how the stator is doing one of this days.. but I just too busy riding this thing!:biggrinjester:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts