StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't usually rant but for this I will
So today while comeing back from the shops in sandy bay(suburb of Hobart Tas) I saw a guy on a vintage motercycle (1970s Honda 4) wearing a singlet, shorts,sand shoes and a man bag oh and the vintage 1980's bell helmet, riding along at normal speed(50 kph) then slow down(say 40 kph) reach into his man purse pull out his phone and start texting
For heaven's sake I dont even know were to start with this stupid stupid stupid
I love to ride do it every day if I can, but the bike I use a 650 v twin v-strom and If I did something disrespectful like texting while riding I would probably end up splattered all over the road
Love your bike, go have grand adventures on it, have a shit ton of fun on it,look after it but don't disrespect it

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Gee, I wonder why insurance is so pricey?

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I really don't care. Someone in a pickup truck flew around me when I was doing a left turn on the gravel shoulder at about 50 and nearly hit me. Maybe it will prevent them from killing someone. I turned his butt in and would do it again in a heart beat. Not doing so is a bad citizen. You need to think these things through.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Returning to the op. I agree it is stupid. A singlet in Tasmania.:surprise: It was snowing there today. He will probably die of pneumonia before he gets chance to commit vehicular suicide.:wink2:

Coops.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been saying this for years re the weather in tas "if it's nice bring a jacket"
Yea the weather flip flops here all the time, I have it snow at my house wich is only about 10 m from sea level
Next day 25c plus

·
Registered
149 Posts
I really don't care. Someone in a pickup truck flew around me when I was doing a left turn on the gravel shoulder at about 50 and nearly hit me. Maybe it will prevent them from killing someone. I turned his butt in and would do it again in a heart beat. Not doing so is a bad citizen. You need to think these things through.
Well don't go getting upset when someone dobs you in... And don't tell me you never ever break laws.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good lord don't come to Pa. or your head will explode. Hell I pass cagers on the shoulder in my cager and so does anyone else wanting to get anywhere.

Oh and if you weren't summoned to court for that pick up truck then the police never did anything with your complaint except file it...

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I was contacted later and a ticket was issued but the driver didn't fight it. In fact i was told the private video doesn't have the same 4th amendment problems as a traffic light camera.

You pass stopped turning motorcycles on the shoulder at high rates of speed?

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
It is illegal here but the way he did was unsafe (high speed) it even illegal in PA. At 50 mph you would do it on a gravel shoulder? They would ticket you there too. It looks like citations are issued for it. I think this case is closed.

Title 75 - PA General Assembly

§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.

(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.

(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.

Here is a guy complaining about a ticket issued for it in PA.
Driving On The Shoulder in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
122 Posts
Read (1) Closely. It says driving OFF the berm or shoulder. You can pass while driving ON the shoulder. You cannot go OFF the shoulder into someones yard and make a pass. " Safely " is a subjective term.

(2) is referring to passing someone in the right hand lane while travelling down a 4 lane highway.

The example of the guy complaining is about people riding down the highway on the shoulder passing others who are NOT turning.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Judgement on safety seems to be lacking where the tickets are issued in PA. Here they always are but 50 mph on a gravel shoulder is just plain stupid in any state.

b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.

Read (1) Closely. It says driving OFF the berm or shoulder. You can pass while driving ON the shoulder. You cannot go OFF the shoulder into someones yard and make a pass. " Safely " is a subjective term.

(2) is referring to passing someone in the right hand lane while travelling down a 4 lane highway.

The example of the guy complaining is about people riding down the highway on the shoulder passing others who are NOT turning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts