StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is obvious to everybody but me...

I just purchased a magnetic tank-bag, and those magnets are up to the task.

Which got me to thinking, "NEVER put your wallet in that sucker or those credit cards are toast..."

Which led to making me wonder if there's any danger to electronics like PDA's, Cell phones, and GPS's... I was hoping to use the tank bag to store these items in off the bike. Any danger to the electronics for the close proximity to powerful magnets?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put my wallet, dig camera and occasionally a gps in an interior pocket on the lid of my tank bag. It's probably 4-5 inches from the magnets in the base of the bag and I haven't had any problems. CC's still work, atm works and camera/memory work. I don't think i'd let those things to the bottom of the tank bag though, it seems like those magnets may at least cause some problems with a dig camera memory card, no?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never had any probs with electronics OR my wallet containing my credit cards in a magnetic tank bag.
+2. Haven't had a problem with any of the magnetic tank bags I've owned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Often the magnets are "capped" or shielded on the bag side. So there isn't a significant magnetic field around the contents of the bag.
Regardless, most electronics are not particularly sensitive to magnetics. Only things with magstripes or other magnetic media is really an issue. Flash cards, CDs, phones, etc should all be safe. Floppy disks (what are those?), tapes (and those?), credit cards, hard drives could be susceptible to different degrees.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Never had an issue with the wallet & mag tank bag, but I did erase the mag stripe on my security badge at work when I set the bag down on it. Not totally erased mind you, just enough to scramble things so they didn't work the door lock any more.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's a myth that has been busted by the Myth Busters. You can relax now :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. Needless worrying, I guess.

As long as you're not waving the magnets back and forth over the strip on the back of your cards.:D

Thanks all...

2G

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
As long as you're not waving the magnets back and forth over the strip on the back of your cards.:D
Actually, if you do the magnet waving routine, the non-problem is gonna become a problem because AC magnetic fields are the ones that do the erasing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts