StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't work at 26500 km!
I know there are a few fixes for that, I am not asking for what might have caused it, I am just whining.

I was contemplating purchasing the Eastern Snatch wiring anyways.

Maybe it is a sign that it has to go into hibernation. Already got caught by the snow once, about a week ago, and dropped it in the snow when I said I got to pull over since the snow was accumulating.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Yes for me it was a choice between installing a relay or having problems down the road.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I wonder why people have this problem; my 08 is fine (40,000kms).

Did Suzuki do something different with the light switch on the wee from their older bikes (GS1100)? I ask because those bikes never had trouble with lights.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Did Suzuki do something different with the light switch on the wee from their older bikes (GS1100)? I ask because those bikes never had trouble with lights.
Well, the V-Strom does have two lamps instead of one. Perhaps that might be related.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Assuming it's not the fuse....I had the same thing last week. K% and the black connector block has slightly corroded.

I found the orange wire (spade connection) was cruddy. Pulled it from the block,cleaned it,connected the spade (outside of the block) block of solder, done.

I think the connectors behind the radiator (for that was where my connector block resided) should just be bypassed. They are just there for bike assembly ease. Chop out the blocks and solder the wires together properly.

This might be a recommendation for winterizing or for pre-long-journey prep.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check and report back the problem. But not this week-end. Sometime this winter. This week-end I think I'll just prepare it for winter (wash, seafoam and oil change).

The list for this winter will be: check the lights (probably including replacing the light harness) and grease the rear suspension.

The bike is a K9 and it happened all of a sudden at night time. I was really scared somebody would hit me. Even during the day I am afraid of using the bike, just in case somebody decides to cut me off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would agree, motorcycle without lights, day or night, not good, cagers can't see you with high beam headlights on, with none you are invisible!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems to be thew starter switch as usual.
Cleaned it and the lights work now. But the bike is in storage for the winter so for how long they will work I don't know.
Maybe get that relay thingie from Eastern beaver
By the way,
where is that poll about lights? Can't find it anymore

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
seems to be thew starter switch as usual.
Cleaned it and the lights work now. But the bike is in storage for the winter so for how long they will work I don't know.
Maybe get that relay thingie from Eastern beaver
By the way,
where is that poll about lights? Can't find it anymore
I had a similar issue. Traces mine down to the right side control handle internally. Something in the start switch went arrye wore out of whatever. A 95 $ replacement and it is now fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Both my lights went out tonight on my K7 Wee with 50K miles :confused: Didn't realize this is a common problem till I searched around this site.

Going to dig into tomorrow night, I am beat now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Saw the poll is closed, but put me down for Starter Switch as well. Went out to the garage, keyed up, banged on switch and lights came on. Will take it apart tomorrow.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Saw the poll is closed, but put me down for Starter Switch as well. Went out to the garage, keyed up, banged on switch and lights came on. Will take it apart tomorrow.
Mine too. Found that the vertical spring (the one that pushes the 2 nibs up) wasn't doing it's job. If you find that cleaning the contacts are not working, take a look at that spring. I ended up snapping the post it sits on because it seemed to have been preventing it from being all springy like.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I own a k4 Wee. Is this the only year that does not develop the headlight/starter button issue? From what I have read, in 05', the Stroms' wiring changed in the starter button housing.

·
38,104 Posts
I own a k4 Wee. Is this the only year that does not develop the headlight/starter button issue? From what I have read, in 05', the Stroms' wiring changed in the starter button housing.
The headlight cutout was added to both models in 2005. 2004 and earlier Stroms leave the headlight on when cranking, so there is no headlight involvement in the starter button switch. The connectors in the cowling and behind the radiator shroud can still cause problems but are not nearly as susceptible.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lights are brighter now with the eastern beaver harness. The thing is that I kinda butchered the plastic tabs on the starter switch when I took it apart so it's acting up again. Can I just solder those wires together in st starter switch or is it not recommended?

·
38,104 Posts
You can bypass the starter switch headlight connections. You just won't have quite as much power for cranking and the bulbs will get a power spike when hot when releasing the starter button, possibly shortening their lives.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts