StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was building a rear rack and had to tac weld a couple pieces while on the bike. I forgot to disconnect the battery. Now the bike won't start. Fuel pump runs but no fire. So I found a used ECM on ebay and have it coming hopefully by this wednesday as I have a trip planned to go to Torrowep, CG on thursday.

Stupid is as stupid does. Didn't save any thing by making my own rack, did I.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I reckon your forum nickname doesn't apply now.:green_lol:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Ouch that is one tough way to learn a lesson.:headbang:

·
Registered
169 Posts
About how much was the used ECM? Suzuki won't replace mine since they listed the recall because I didn't make the call during warranty.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I mentioned the possibility of doing electronic damage with arc welding equipment on a motorcycle forum and about 20 posts promptly told me I was crazy. (well I am a little) It is the stray pulses of emf, which like lightning, can go to strange places and do strange things. Somewhat like a mini nuclear pulse.
Anyway sorry for your grief. I'm not sure you are fully protected from damage by removing the battery connection, but it should help. Clipping on close to your weld and disconnecting electronics may also help.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I feel your pain. I bought a Moto Guzzi Quota. The battery died. I charged it and reinstalled with reversed polarity. I blew the regulator.

Les

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This might be a stupid question... How do you know it was the ECM that was damaged? I mean, how do you know it wasn't something else, maybe it's another damaged component? Was there actually visible damage or were you able to do some sort of diagnostic test on the ECM?

Richard

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was building a rear rack and had to tac weld a couple pieces while on the bike. I forgot to disconnect the battery. Now the bike won't start. Fuel pump runs but no fire. So I found a used ECM on ebay and have it coming hopefully by this wednesday as I have a trip planned to go to Torrowep, CG on thursday.

Stupid is as stupid does. Didn't save any thing by making my own rack, did I.
I have welded to the frame without any issues. As long as the frame is grounded close to where you are welding I do not see how any electronic components could be damaged.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This might be a stupid question... How do you know it was the ECM that was damaged? I mean, how do you know it wasn't something else, maybe it's another damaged component? Was there actually visible damage or were you able to do some sort of diagnostic test on the ECM?

Richard
The ECM is the most fragile componant. All the fuses are ok, the fuel pump runs and pressurizes, starter spins, and the ecm is easy to get to. I stayed at a Holiday Inn.
I will see tonight as the new/used one arrives late this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed. If that ain't it where do I go next??

Stray current yes, of high voltage not amps. I did have the ground attached close to the weld and yes I allways thought Ba Humbug on the issue also. Have welded many times without problem. Quess what? I am a believer NOW.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I was watching Long Way Round lastnight. In episode 5 they have to weld the frame of the cameraman's bike after he rides into a giant rock while daydreaming. Afterwards he has no ABS brakes. After reading this post i immediately thought the ECM was blown.

Maybe episode 6 will reveal what the real problem was with that bike. They had it shipped someplace for repair.

Episode 5 is all full of despair. I just have to laugh when i see rich people wallowing in the mud over and over. Sorry, bit off topic there. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the new ECM in and put it in. No change. Still won't fire. I put my old one(that I thought was bad) back on.

So I pulled the tank up and pulled a plug wire. There is spark. Then I checked all the fuses again. Pulled the relay that sits in front of the battery. It is a combo turn signal and I believe runs the fuel pump and maybe the injectors.

After puting the relay back in I spun it around again and it wanted to fire. Spun it some more and it started and runs just fine.

I have no idea now what was going on! I will keep this ECM for a while and then resale it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huh? Did the charter fleet move out of Phoenix? When I was there in ought one, we were landing giant tuna right off of Scottsdale!

Ha ha haa! A comickian from Ft Liqiurdale

I was from Boynton Bch area. Moved here last year.

I just had a wild quess and I new I didn't have a lot of time to wait on one so I found it and ordered it so it would get here. I take off on a trip I have been dreaming of tommarrow. The one I ordered is a used one so I can just resell it. I have a complete engine for spare parts also. Maybe I should by a few Storm and start a Strom junk yard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts