StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 06 DL 1000 in stop and go traffic for about three miles - ride 15 feet, stop, etc. I was 2-up with my 12 year old son on the back.

Eventually traffic started to clear and as I was shifting into 3rd, the bike stumbled really hard. My son's feet flew off the pegs - if he had not been holding on tight he would have fallen off backwards.

I have never experienced anything like that and was really surprised. Any thoughts?

Thinking back on it, I wonder if extra fuel was collecting in the stop and go traffic and as I finally started to accelerate away it created a hydraulic lock in one or both cylinders. It seemed like the bike was trying to stall but then cleared its throat and off we went.

No other problems and nothing since, but its disconcerting and makes me worry about riding the bike hard.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Hydraulic lock cannot happen on a running engine. Extra fuel has no place to collect. It's only a concern with carbureted bikes having a float needle problem and a clogged overflow left parked with the petcock on, or when a bike gets laid down. You had an upright, running, fuel injected bike.

A V-Twin will compression brake more heavily than a four if it misfires or if the throttle is backed off. I'd guess since it was happening on a shift, the clutch was popped with the revs down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts