Strom Trooper banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Experience:
I've had to be very careful using Locktite when bolting steel to aluminum. They can easily weld to each other!
That's really interesting. My background as a sailboat rigger taught me about galvanic corrosion between stainless fasteners and aluminum, and I have seen far more without anti sieze or locktite than with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That's really interesting. My background as a sailboat rigger taught me about galvanic corrosion between stainless fasteners and aluminum, and I have seen far more without anti sieze or locktite than with it.
My Experience

When I first purchased my ZRX1200 10 years ago, I wanted to inspect my front brake calipers which were aluminum. When I tried to unbolt them from the forks there was the usual resistance at first. HOWEVER after the initial loosening the bolts continued to have extreme resistance!!! It was almost as if the threads were crossed.

I puckered up and continued to remove them SLOWLY. Thankfully they came out without damage but I could see some aluminum on the threads. When reinstalling the bolts, I cleaned them thoroughly and used anti-seize. After that incident, the bolts were easy to remove and there was no more aluminum on the threads.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there is a Locktite specifically made for plastics.
Yep, they make hundreds of formulations beyond the two or three found in auto parts stores. Heck, they probably already have solutions for theoretical states of matter...

That said, if it's a fastener going though a piece of plastic into steel or aluminum, you could still use Loctite as long as you're not a total slopmonster and the Loctite doesn't contact the plastic.

Apparently I am a slopmonster. After noticing some crumbly plastic on my KLR after using some blue Loctite, I read the label... oh well.

The little "lipstick tube" Loctite is working out much better for me than the liquid.

Also, lots of folks have a "more is always better" mindset, and thus I've found red/high strength thread locker used in aluminum far too many times. It's rarely, if ever, appropriate, and must be heated to remove safely. Blue or lower strength is usually fine for steel into aluminum.

Thread locker also serves to help isolate steel fasteners in aluminum, so can reduce problems with galvanic corrosion. However, regular steel and aluminum are generally considered safe, and unless it's in a harsh environment the risk of galvanic corrosion is normally fairly low.

That said, stainless steel and aluminum have a VERY high potential for galvanic corrosion, so you MUST use anti-seize and adjust your torque specs a bit. A lower-strength thread locker can also help with this, but I think anti-seize is more effective long term.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
add your Madstad brackets to the list.

I had three of four of the fasters for the brackets to the bike fail.

This not the adjusters or the screen to the brackets.....but the mount to the bike....not well thought out on the CB500x.

Gerry rig to get home.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
The little "lipstick tube" Loctite is working out much better for me than the liquid.
The gel formulation is awesome. I see no reason to go back to the liquid, for my purposes. It's so much easier to only get the gel where I want it.

Also, lots of folks have a "more is always better" mindset, and thus I've found red/high strength thread locker used in aluminum far too many times. It's rarely, if ever, appropriate, and must be heated to remove safely. Blue or lower strength is usually fine for steel into aluminum.
Suzi recommends a red-Loctite-equivalent for the front sprocket nut, and a lot of folks do use red Loctite here, apparently.

When I did mine this spring, I used blue, because it was a gigantic pain in the butt to get that nut off last time I wanted to change sprockets.

I don't think the sprocket will work itself loose because I used blue vs. red, but I'll be checking on it periodically. I take that cover off to clean out gunk every so often anyway.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The gel formulation is awesome. I see no reason to go back to the liquid, for my purposes. It's so much easier to only get the gel where I want it.

Suzi recommends a red-Loctite-equivalent for the front sprocket nut, and a lot of folks do use red Loctite here, apparently.

When I did mine this spring, I used blue, because it was a gigantic pain in the butt to get that nut off last time I wanted to change sprockets.

I don't think the sprocket will work itself loose because I used blue vs. red, but I'll be checking on it periodically. I take that cover off to clean out gunk every so often anyway.
The sprocket nut is a large steel-on-steel thread, so red Loctite is entirely appropriate. Even if you don't heat it, you can blast it off with an impact with no ill effects.

But yeah, between me and thee, I think blue plus proper torque is fine as well. That's what I use. There's really no force unscrewing these; they don't come off unless you just forget to torque them or something.

And on the Vee, there's also the speedo widget in the middle. The sprocket nut is NOT going to just fly off.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
That's correct. After many, many tries with a plug-in impact driver, I finally got the aforementioned sprocket nut loose. Elegantly, with no injury to me or the bike. Made the purchase of that tool so very worthwhile.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,331 Posts
I guess I have to add "factory handguard hardware" to the Loctite list.

Why? Because I lost one on a dirt road yesterday.

I was up on the pegs and looking ahead, so I have no idea when it actually fell off. Things started feeling funny at one point though. so I looked down and the right handguard was gone.

I stopped and looked back up the road about 100 yards. That thing must have fallen into the brush somewhere. It's gone.

Oh well. I kinda wanted an excuse to install Barkbusters anyway. Now I have one I suppose.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts