StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no there not for my v strom , ordered some nokian studded tires for my mountain bike , has any one tryed them ? should make bike rides too work safer and provide some 2 wheel fun over the winter , i was supprised nokian makes twelve different snow tires for mountain bikes .

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yahoo im posting too my self but finally got my studded tires ,will put them on today and report too my self how they work yee ha
Hey chris, just wondering if yours are MB tires also or for your strom. If you put them on your strom...you Must submit a pic and let us know how they do. J.R

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
MB snow tires

, ordered some nokian studded tires for my mountain bike , has any one tryed them ? should make bike rides too work safer and provide some 2 wheel fun over the winter , .
I ride my MB to work rather than the Wee-Strom because it is less than 5 km and not enough time to get the engine properly warmed up. When the snow starts to accumulate I switch from semi slick road tires to Chen Shin ( made in Taiwan) small block knobbies. They work very well in light snow, packed snow and dry road. On smooth solid ice they are not very good. Ice does not stay on the roads here very long because they are plowed and salted. I think the studs would have less traction on smooth dry pavement, and very little advantage in slushy or soft snow pack.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your right

I ride my MB to work rather than the Wee-Strom because it is less than 5 km and not enough time to get the engine properly warmed up. When the snow starts to accumulate I switch from semi slick road tires to Chen Shin ( made in Taiwan) small block knobbies. They work very well in light snow, packed snow and dry road. On smooth solid ice they are not very good. Ice does not stay on the roads here very long because they are plowed and salted. I think the studs would have less traction on smooth dry pavement, and very little advantage in slushy or soft snow pack.
my regular tires work great all winter , its just the really icey days i wanted the tires for , $210 bucks for the tires was alot but i think they will last a long time . the tires i got only have the studs on the outer edge as i couldnt afford the full studded ones , out of the 12 tires nokian offers for winter the top of the line tires are $700 bucks a pair

·
Registered
47 Posts
Must be at least 10 years ago, when I used to pedal 5 km to work, after work another 5 km to a gym and then 10 km home. I had a set of the first Nokia(n) tyres with 200+ studs per tyre. When it rained on a frozen slush, you really noticed the difference between a knobbie and a studded knobbie. A bit like switching from slicks to knobbies when riding on mud.:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Years ago I had snow tires with ground walnut shells in the tread.Very small all the way thru the tread.As they wore the shell pieces would fall out leaving a little traction crater in the tread.The shell was harder than the rubber so it was a minute stud while in the tire.They wore extremly well and very good traction.

Are any tire makers listening?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ice rink

Must be at least 10 years ago, when I used to pedal 5 km to work, after work another 5 km to a gym and then 10 km home. I had a set of the first Nokia(n) tyres with 200+ studs per tyre. When it rained on a frozen slush, you really noticed the difference between a knobbie and a studded knobbie. A bit like switching from slicks to knobbies when riding on mud.:D
they work good ,there is an out door skateing rink in front of my house [flooded basketball court] they sound realy cool on the ice and leave visible grip marks on the ice

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
The Iceman likes them. Il les aime!

Paul Mondor rode a two-wheeled bike from Vancouver to St. John's in JANUARY 2007, with studded tires. He rode the same bike, with an attached sidecar, from Vancouver to Goose Bay, than back to Baie Comeau in January 2008. Again he used studded tires.

If you do not find his account elsehwere, visit www.ridetherock.com, where he has an enthusiastic following. He also has a very fine vocabulary, éspecialement si vous parlez français!

Il emploie des mots bien bleus!

Bonne chance!
Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts