StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Corbin Seat from a fellow Stromtrooper yesterday.

When I went to put it on it wouldn't quite click. I pushed harder and no click. Then I sat on the back seat (rather hard) and it clicked in.

This morning I tried to take off the seat and it wouldn't release. I didn't look hard at it as I was heading into work but do any of you have any suggestions of how to get the seat to release or is there a way to undo the latch with the seat on?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Burgman seat would get stuck sometimes when I overfilled the trunk, I would have to hold it down and turn the key. You might have to sit on it and turn the key if that's how it locked the first time. Good luck~!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
stuck seat

I'd have someone hold the key in the open position, and then sit rather hard again onto the seat and hope it releases and pops up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
corbin seats

hey Tom,

the corbin seats are a little longer than stock. i bet you have a top box with a mounting bracket, right? the seat is stuck under the bracket. i had to have my wife hold the key while i jimmied it with a crow bar... serious.

then i took the givi bracket off and moved it back about 1 inch. now the seat goes off and on, no prob.

P.

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the sitting suggestions guys!

P: I had a Corbin seat on it already that I have worn out. I doubt its the top box bracket but I'll keep it in mind if it looks like it interferes.

If neither way helps is there a way to get at the mechanism from below?
Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
There are ways, but they aren't really fun.
I don't have the time to search it out right now, but there are photos of the mechanism on the site.

There are also a couple of posts about how NOT to do it.
If I remember correctly, once you see the photos, you can work the latch from the side with little effort...

I'm on the KLR today, or I'd go out and look...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey Tom, I was afraid of that. I was thinking about it today, and wondering if the latch plate simply needs to be shimmed a little. I think a washer or two under the plate might give it the extra reach to catch without so much force being required.

As for getting it off, I think as others have mentioned weighting the seat while getting someone to open the latch with the key might do it. Otherwise, it looks rather difficult to get into.

I took a picture of mine, I assume it is the same on the 650. If need be, you might be able to drill a hole in the top edge of one of the side panels that fits up under the edge of the seat and reach in with some thing to push or pull the latch lever, and apply more pressure than the key/cable will allow.

The red marks I drew show the slight zig zag in the body panel top edge. Will give you an idea of where the cable and latch are located.

If you need help, you are welcome to come by and I'll see what I can do.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I forgot the latch cable once..... Had to remove the fender ... Just 4 bolts. 2 that holds the rack on and 2 behind the muffler.....

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved! The bouncing on the seat method got it release, and three washers on each bolt as spacers made it work properly.

Thanks everyone for your input!

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Problem solved! The bouncing on the seat method got it release, and three washers on each bolt as spacers made it work properly.

Thanks everyone for your input!

..Tom
Did Ruggybuggy send one of his girls over for a ride on a washboarded fire road?

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Actually he exhumed his ex's body from under the concrete in the basement.

You know, dead weight and all that...

:yikes:

I read it in the local edition of the Enquirer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts