Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First and foremost, my party and I (and my Strom) are okay. Long shot here, but looking for someone in the area that has experience with Triumph Tiger 800 XC throttle cable issues. My buddy and I were just pulling into the Red Eagle Lodge when he lost all throttle response. He's posting to ADV and various Tiger forums right now. We may need to tow it to the Triumph dealer in Anchorage if we can't find a solution in the next 36-48hrs. Free WiFi here, but relegated to the lodge. Will be checking back sporadically. No cell coverage.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
if it were mine, i would tow it to the nearest suzuki dealer and trade it for a vstrom, then continue on my adventure. I tell the same to BMW owners. I've never read a ride report from a strom rider who is broke down. good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Well we pulled the tank and discovered the throttle cable has snapped. Of course there are no spares. Triumph Seattle is attempting to have a replacement overnighted from China. Earliest Saturday. So we're here in Chistochina for another day or so. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Red Eagle Lodge is an amazing place. We were lucky to have gotten stranded here. Red Eagle Lodge, Chistochina, Alaska

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 2

The bike shops in Fairbanks cant build a custom cable?
Fairbanks Motorcycle shop | Motorcycle shop in Fairbanks, AK - YP.com
Mike
Good to know! We'll be headed up there in a few days. Sounds like a proper cable is being over-nighted to Anchorage. For the time being, we flip-flopped the push/pull on the existing good cable so he can get going, but he has to twist the grip up instead of down to accelerate. Enough to get us the 228 miles to Anchorage anyway.

Its not an adventure until things stop going as planned, right? :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By chance, were you guys in Skagway last Tuesday? I was there on a cruise, and saw three bikes, one of them being a vstrom.
Naw, we took the ferry to Haines and started riding from there. Though we coulda walked by you in Ketchikan! Three cruise ships there when our ferry docked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the time being, we flip-flopped the push/pull on the existing good cable so he can get going, but he has to twist the grip up instead of down to accelerate
Most bikes will allow you to open up the throttle assembly at the handlebars and switch the cable ends in the twist grip so your friend should be able to get his throttle direction straightened out.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
So I have one of those Triumph Tigers...never heard of a throttle cable snapping. Must have been a bad one. Anyway, as Spunky said, you could just swap them at the handlebar. The return one isn't necessary, just mandated by lawsuits where the throttle stuck open. Just use the return as the primary and be on your way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in the game.

So I have one of those Triumph Tigers...never heard of a throttle cable snapping. Must have been a bad one. Anyway, as Spunky said, you could just swap them at the handlebar. The return one isn't necessary, just mandated by lawsuits where the throttle stuck open. Just use the return as the primary and be on your way.
Exactly what we ended up doing. Got us into The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage where they had sent the part over night. They took us in immediately and started wrenching on it. Four hours later we were back on the road. In Denali now. Denali Hwy tomorrow. Rain forecasted. Then down to Kennicot. Then...?

12 more days to go. 2 days lost to mechanical gremlins. Not bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts