StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Rebuilding my forks again. The coastal weather has rotted the inner tubes and I haven’t been cleaning them up like I should. So there go the seals.

Anyway, it seems the lower bushing has wedged it’s self between the fork tube and upper bushing. The slide hammer method just drives the wedge tighter and compresses the seal. I tried freeing up the seal by going around the outer edge with a small pick and heating the crap out of the outer tube with a heat gun. Then I fastened it to my work bench and secured the bench to the wall to hold down. Yanked like hell on it and nothing. It just gets stuck at full extension and I have to beat it back in to give it another yank. I did this about 10 times while heating it in between yanks. It won’t budge.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
As in the link above I was able to get the seal out by using the suggested hydraulic method. PB Blaster overnight and then wrapped the top of the outer fork tube with a rag and slowly poured boiling water on it till it was too hot to touch. After a few slide hammers it started to move and came apart. One of the bushings was a different color from the other three. I think the dealer (Honda) used an oddball bushing when they did the forks for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As in the link above I was able to get the seal out by using the suggested hydraulic method. PB Blaster overnight and then wrapped the top of the outer fork tube with a rag and slowly poured boiling water on it till it was too hot to touch. After a few slide hammers it started to move and came apart. One of the bushings was a different color from the other three. I think the dealer (Honda) used an oddball bushing when they did the forks for me.

Thank you. I wasn’t able to read this in the link. Just something about somewhere to stay...I had considered using PB blaster but wasn’t sure if it would cause damage to internals. Glad to know it worked! Were you using the expansion of hot water, or was it just for the heat? Did you seal the hot water inside? If so, I guess I’d need to plug the bottom hole or reinstall the damper. Thanks again!

·
Registered
432 Posts
The complete thread is here. https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-stro...d-help-seperating-upper-lower-fork-tubes.html The hot water was applied to the outside to heat the top of the outer fork tube up and expand it to loosen the outer bushing. My thought was that the inner fork tube would keep the bushing cool while the aluminum outer would expand. To get the seal out I filled the fork with oil and then pressed it with a jig. (see pics in thread) With the retainer removed the only thing that can move is the seal. Be careful not to shower yourself with oil. I did have to put the damper back in so the bottom bolt and washer could screw tight and seal in the pressure. Didn't torque it tight just enough to seal. Lots more good suggestions from members in the thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey BC rider. Thanks for all the info. The hydraulic method worked brilliantly. I sealed the bottom, filled the fork full of oil with it extended about an inch, then installed the top cap. I made a jig out of a 4x4 with small bore in the bottom so not to damage the top cap, and put a floor jack under the bottom tube. Fastened the top jig to the wall and compressed the fork till the seal started popping up. Turned the fork upside down and the seal fell out.

Now I’ve discovered the real problem. The upper bushing is stuck and the slide hammer method won’t pull it out. Probably it’s the lower bush flaring out the the upper bush and jamming it tight. I’ve got it soaking in PB blaster and will try again tomorrow. I’ll dig around and see if there’s any more info on stuck bushing removal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...I took the fork to a local suspension guy. He had the bushing out 20 minutes later and cost $20. Lesson learned

·
Registered
432 Posts
Excellent price to have a problem solved. If it took him twenty minutes it would have taken me ????????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts