StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new rider and my MSF course is in a few days (so I guess I'm not even hatched yet). I got a new 2014 V-Strom 1000 Adventure and have been riding around the backyard to get a feel for starting, stopping and whatnot.
I drove several laps around the backyard in first, taking care not to ride the clutch, and came to a stop. I went to start up again and now it won't take off. Its actually possible to let go of the clutch and the bike neither stalls nor creeps forward so I'm thinking its got to be a stuck plate :confused:. When shifting from N to 1 it gives that little push that the gear changed and you can feel it give the slightest indication that it might go when you let off the clutch lever. Its got 1 on the odometer. The clutch lever does seem a little harder to pull than it was at first.
Any suggestions to try before I load it up to go back to the shop as its not the easiest thing to do. I don't want to open it up since I think the warranty should cover it and I'll probably wind up making it worse. I've tried pumping the clutch, rocking it back and forth, even walking it forward, nothing's worked yet.
While this is somewhat embarrassing, I do feel its worth mentioning that I did scrape up against a hostile tree :yikes: prior to this, making me go down, but it didn't seem like a major fall, and it drove just fine for several more laps, starting and stopping. I do love the perfect new bike look but I'm looking forward to many memories made on this bike so a few scrapes on it and scars on me aren't going to dissuade me.

(Please refrain from any shame on me posts for buying a new 1000cc bike instead of used 250 or 500 for my first bike. I really like everything I've seen and read about this one and it sounds beginner friendly despite its size. I'm too old to do anything stupid on it anyway.:beatnik:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so I went back out and tried it again (its had a few hours to cool down) and after once or twice doing the same as before it coughed once and stalled, I'm guessing the plates separated in there. I started it back up and was able to get it moving again. I guess it was too slow too long. Any way I'm glad its moving again.:hurray:

·
Registered
115 Posts
False neutral? On my Strom 650, sometimes it wouldn't want to shift into a true first gear. I would have to release the clutch, rev it a little, then try to shift again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had tried it on 1, N, 2, even 3 and it never caught anything until it cooled down for about 2 hours. Since I'm a total noob I don't know about the 650 but I could definitely feel the switch from N and the ever so slight pull as I let out the clutch but it never caught hold. It shows the gear on the dash but I'm assuming that's for reference only and not to be fully trusted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and the adventure christening - drop on one side, then the other, now you're ready to go!

BTW, you are never too old to do something stupid :headbang:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
From experience with this bike in hours and hours of heavy traffic I would be surprised if the clutch gave out simply because it couldn't take being ridden round in the yard in first gear for an extended period. You should get cramps in your left hand long before you get clutch issues. But then again who knows how you were working the clutch and what happened when you tipped over. I won't comment on anything else since you asked not to, but giving the almost-100HP motorcycle a rest until after you take the MSF course is an idea very much worth considering, at which point you can try to ride it down to the dealer to see if you bent the shift lever or something when you fell over.

One thought, however:
If you had traction control on, particularly on TC2 setting, and the rear wheel was in slippery grass or mud that could explain things as well. I've ridden mine in extremely slick mud and water crossings but not in TC2 mode, which I have heard will cause you not to go anywhere.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When stopped you sometimes need to roll a bike back and forth while actuating the shifter to clear a false neutral.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If your clutch plates are stuck together the bike will want to move every time you put it into gear, your description is of a slipping clutch not stuck plates.

Have your clutch adjustment and free play checked, have you topped up the oil with the wrong stuff ?

You need to find a reason for clutch slip not stuck plates.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If your clutch plates are stuck together the bike will want to move every time you put it into gear, your description is of a slipping clutch not stuck plates.

Have your clutch adjustment and free play checked, have you topped up the oil with the wrong stuff ?

You need to find a reason for clutch slip not stuck plates.
+1
But also check your clutch master cylinder where the lever goes into it , did the bike fall on that side if it did there may be something (dirt?) there stopping the cylinder piston or the lever returning after you pull the clutch in , keeping the clutch disengaged .

Ozzy Strom

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It cleared up after the two hours of sitting there. Today I was riding just fine for about an hour, took a break for 30 minutes then rode for 30 minutes then got off for 5 and its now doing it again (But didn't have any sideways riding or scares today :)). All my riding is 5-10 mph, barely working the throttle or clutch.
The only "damage" that I've seen from the fall was some minor scraping on the beak, nothing on the bottom half was touched and it runs fine cool.

I haven't done anything to it besides add gas (which was premium and a new container). My MSF course starts tomorrow so I can't take it back this weekend and don't have enough knowledge to do much on my own, especially for this while its under warranty. Next week, assuming I pass the MSF I should be able to get my M-class and ride it to the dealer. Since its doing it again I think its worth having them look at it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I was going to suggest bleeding the clutch line just to rule out the chance of air in the line due to being dropped. But it is unlikely

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was going to suggest bleeding the clutch line just to rule out the chance of air in the line due to being dropped. But it is unlikely
I'm tending to think the whole thing is unlikely and I'm getting visions of small Norwegian hill and cave dwellers.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm guessing that your bike is getting overheated they way you are riding it, especially in Memphis this time of year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to leave it outside last night under cover and this morning it worked fine again to put it up before heading out. It's been in the mid 90s pretty consistently here. The engine temp hasn't gotten to the Fourth bar but it is high enough to trip the fan.
Bleeding the clutch looks like something I can do, just gonna have to stop by the store to get the pump and fluid. The dealer said he was training a new tech for the service department and the new guys put the new bikes together under supervision before they do service so it is possible something was done wrong at the dealer. It'll be dark by the time I get it again so I probably won't be riding tonight but maybe tomorrow.
If it does it again I'll take a video so you know I'm not a small Norwegian.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Bizarre as it seems, there should be a logical explanation.
The size of the Norwegian shouldn't affect the outcome.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doesn't the new DL1000 have a slipper clutch?

I think one of the features of the new DL1000 is a slipper clutch which is supposed to keep engine braking down quite a bit. I think it works by engine RPM, once you give it gas, the little balls swing out in the clutch and it enguages...I had heard that

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My balls swing out when I give it gas. But they're not little. Tadadum!:bom_drummer:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts