StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, getting oon the bike today after sitting for a few weeks and now my rear brake pedal does not move.
Any thoughts on how to get it moving again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I would remove it and check that the rod will move up and down okay. Chances are it will but the rear master cylinder will need work if it doesn't. Cleaning and greasing the pedal pivot will probably free it up. Since it doesn't get greased often enough due to the work involved, I put a grease fitting on mine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would remove it and check that the rod will move up and down okay. Chances are it will but the rear master cylinder will need work if it doesn't. Cleaning and greasing the pedal pivot will probably free it up. Since it doesn't get greased often enough due to the work involved, I put a grease fitting on mine.

Thanks. Seems to be the master. The rod is not moving up in it. Funny how things just break down when you don't ride it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
Is there a trick to unseating / re-seating the torsion spring for full disassembly? I took my lever off and tried to grease it in the small clearance under the snap ring, but it only worked for a day before going back to crap. I have been putting off doing it properly from how much a pain it was the first time.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There isn't much of a trick. There is a hole in the footpeg bracket for one end of the spring and the other end goes over the pedal arm. There is some relief in the mating parts to hold onto a little grease but adding a zerk fitting is well worth the effort. It does need to be to one side a bit rather than centered to allow room for the spring. I think the 1000s with aluminum brackets may not have a hole and the spring end may rest on a casting flange.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
For lubricating things like this that call for grease and are difficult to get to, I like to use spray lithium grease. It is thinned with a solvent so it penetrates, but then the solvent evaporates leaving the thicker grease behind.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When I had to replace the foot brake lever on my Wee2, I too installed a grease fitting (using greywolf's idea). Haven't used it since though.

The lever remove and replace process was very simple and quick though, as I recall.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This thread helped my 2010 650. The brake pedal was so solidly stuck that I had to heat it up with a blowtorch. Once I did that, it came apart nicely and I cleaned and greased and all is well.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great video and help Stromatalite. wondering if you know what other units will fit on a 2012 dl650, or how to go about finding that information? Is there a cross reference list anywhere out there? Another question _ is there any reason a unit from a 1000 cc vstrom wouldn’t work? They look identical from what I can tell

·
Registered
2012 DL650A
119 Posts
Great video and help Stromatalite. wondering if you know what other units will fit on a 2012 dl650, or how to go about finding that information? Is there a cross reference list anywhere out there? Another question _ is there any reason a unit from a 1000 cc vstrom wouldn’t work? They look identical from what I can tell
Look at the one in the video and check eBay. There are lots of identical units for <$50.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haven’t been on in a while but the ABS unit is replaced. Did find a reasonably priced ($115) from the 1000 cc V-storm mentioned above. Replacing it was rather easy once I set my mind to it. Even my buddy who’s an electrical engineer and does all his own wrenching on much more exotic bikes was impressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what its worth when I got the old unit off I was able to pass air thru the front connector but not rear. I don’t know if that means a valve is stuck shut or there is some crud stuck in the ABS module? Almost looks like I could tear the old unit apart to find out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts