StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to install an engine guard on my '05 DL650. In order to install the engine guard I have to install a bracket. In order to install the bracket I have to remove two hex bolts that hold the sidestand onto the bike. But, the bolts won't budge. I've tried WD40 and banging on my wrench with a hammer. No luck. Any suggestions as to how I can remove these bolts without drilling them out are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you talking about hex head bolts or allen head bolts? Either way, use a good quality socket squarely on a clean bolt head, connected to a long ratchet, not the cheap 6" or whatever version that Craftsman insists on including in their sets. Brace yourself and apply steady increasing pressure. Your face should turn red. If it still won't work, try applying heat to the female-threaded portion with a plumber's torch. It will work to loosen the loctite. Air tools are the best answer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. There's no way to get a long lever under the bike. The bolts (hex head, not allen) are on the inside under the bike. Since I don't currently own any air tools, I'll try some sort of heat. I have a small butane torch that I bought at Lowes that I used to light cigars. That might work!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tough nut

Just a thought, but try taking long 1/2 inch drive extention with about a 13/16 deep socket and slip it over the handle of your 3/8 rachet and giver a good reef. Or put a box end of a combination wrench on the nut then take a little bigger combination and lock the box end of the wrench onto the open of the wrench on the nut and giver a good reef. Either way, just little leverage will do it. Sometimes heat travels where you don't really want it.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if the heat helped or not. But, the sledge hammer on the wrench finally did the trick. It always amazes me how a bolt won't budge and about the time you think it will never come loose, it does.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
A friend of mine was fond of saying BF and FI. Brut force and F###ing Ignorance. lol. Whatever works go with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts