StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I assume that being 220 pounds..plus Trax boxes, gear, etc, adding up to around 330 pounds...give or take...the rear spring would have to be...upgraded?

Thanks for your insight(s).

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I don't know if anyone knows for sure yet, but its a pretty fair bet that you would benefit from setting it up for your weight and your extras.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do I assume that being 220 pounds..plus Trax boxes, gear, etc, adding up to around 330 pounds...give or take...the rear spring would have to be...upgraded?

Thanks for your insight(s).
Yes, you'll definitely benefit from a stronger spring, and better yet, a reworked or aftermarket shock. Personally, I've had a HyperPro on two Vstroms and would buy a third.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Have to be upgraded.....NO......good idea....probably.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Im 220, cranked the preload all the way up front and rear, seems good for me. When I load it down for the first trip we will see how it handles an extra 75 lbs of camping gear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've got Trax luggage on my 2012 Vee and weigh about the same as you and I went from the OEM spring rate of 8.2kg/mm to a 11.6kg/mm spring on my rear shock. It would be nice if the Vee2 had a rear shock heavy enough to cope with our needs but I doubt it.

It'll also be also interesting to see what affect aftermarket adventure style luggage, such as Trax etc, will have on the Vee2's aerodynamics/handling characteristics.

·
Vendor
5,423 Posts
I'm 230 and upgraded both front and rear springs. That along with a fork brace (ours of course) made a huge difference. I suggest trying a Wilber's rear shock spring on the stock shock with the rebound dampening backed off 1/4 turn from full.

Check Sonic springs for the front. The have a calculator on their site that is very helpful.

Seriously, these changes, along with a fork brace, make a huge difference in how a V-Strom behaves. It goes from a wallowing long legged dual sport to feeling like a tight sport touring machine.

You can always go back and buy the shock without the spring later.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You could just lose some weight, carry less crap and save yourself a small fortune changing suspension and on top of that your heart will thank you :argue:
I see it as a win win situation all round, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm 230 and upgraded both front and rear springs. That along with a fork brace (ours of course) made a huge difference. I suggest trying a Wilber's rear shock spring on the stock shock with the rebound dampening backed off 1/4 turn from full.

Check Sonic springs for the front. The have a calculator on their site that is very helpful.

Seriously, these changes, along with a fork brace, make a huge difference in how a V-Strom behaves. It goes from a wallowing long legged dual sport to feeling like a tight sport touring machine.

You can always go back and buy the shock without the spring later.
I'm also 230 lbs. I did the calculation based on both of us at 373lbs. Recommended fork springs are 1.2 kg and shock at 17.66 kg. (basically the stiffest)
Is that the correct way to calculate? We will be riding together 95% of the time.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Calculate the fork spring not including the passenger using the calculator at SonicSprings.com. Enter your weight in riding clothes. Something between 0.90 and 1.0 would be more like it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks GW. I wasn't sure if I should include my better half since she is always on the bike.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You could just lose some weight, carry less crap and save yourself a small fortune changing suspension and on top of that your heart will thank you :argue:
I see it as a win win situation all round, but that's just me.
LOL, 6'3" 220, some of us are not overweight, just big. Big guys like to ride too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
LOL, 6'3" 220, some of us are not overweight, just big. Big guys like to ride too.:thumbup:
Good point, but some bikes have a limit, chassis wise and then you'd have to look at a bigger machine or something different. I do know what you're saying, I'm 6' and 210lbs and down from a high of 282lbs ( not fat either, competitive b/builder, so I carry my weight differently) saying that I would not consider a 650 as a 'two up' bike for everyday use, for me, solo, it's near perfect. Or at least until I get an itch...... But I think the new V Strom should be up for the job

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good point, but some bikes have a limit, chassis wise and then you'd have to look at a bigger machine or something different. I do know what you're saying, I'm 6' and 210lbs and down from a high of 282lbs ( not fat either, competitive b/builder, so I carry my weight differently) saying that I would not consider a 650 as a 'two up' bike for everyday use, for me, solo, it's near perfect. Or at least until I get an itch...... But I think the new V Strom should be up for the job
I'm 5'11 235lbs, competitive eater and drinker...I'm sure the new V-Strom will haul my fat ass around quite nicely, the current one is doing a good job...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts