StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking at Vstrom's since they came out in the US, but never pulled the trigger on one, until now. I just brought home a nice 2006 DL1000 on Sunday and am pretty pleased overall.

I've been riding for roughly 30 years with a few breaks in there of a year or so. Up to now, mainly big bore street bikes - Hayabusa's, ZRX's, ZX12, Triumphs Daytona's, etc. Tried a Versys earlier this year and that convinced me that now is the right time for something in the general Adventure/Utility category. That Versys proved too physically small and I found a buyer for it about the same time I closed the deal on the DL1000. Timing couldn't have been any better.

Looking forward to learning tips/tricks for this beasty and creating some good memories with it in the years to come.

Jim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nice clean copy. Must have very few miles on it. Other than that it looks just like mine. Well, that and I spent a couple thousand on must have accessories...

Have fun with that. ;)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, just over 8k miles when I brought it home. I have a few ideas of "gotta have" accessories (centerstand....Suzuki or Motech or ?, a different windscreen, raise the rear ride height) but nothing too major until I get enough saddle time to really know what I have to begin with.

What accessories have separated you from more than a fistful of dollars?

·
Registered
469 Posts
You are correct, just over 8k miles when I brought it home. I have a few ideas of "gotta have" accessories (centerstand....Suzuki or Motech or ?, a different windscreen, raise the rear ride height) but nothing too major until I get enough saddle time to really know what I have to begin with.

What accessories have separated you from more than a fistful of dollars?
Here are my money wasters (by the way, my '04 came completely stock too):

My orders were for:
SW Motech centerstand.
SW Motech quick disconnect pannier racks
Givi Rear trunk mount
Sears (aka JC Whitney) rear budget trunk
Bought a pair of Seahorse side bags and the Happy Trails pannier mounting kit and that is what I use all of the time. Also have a pait or Givi E36 bags for extended outings
StromBone GPS mounting plate for Ram mounting a Zumo GPS.
Oxford heated grips
Datel voltage meter
FuzeBlock to power the above
Russell Daylong seat upgrade (well worth the $$ over the long haul)

That's pretty much it. I'm poretty darned happy with just those few (thousand $$'s of) changes. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting I currently own a Versys. Considering selling it and my SV1000S
for the new 2012 DL1000 adventure similar ergo 's to the Versys and nearly the power as the SV. What to other DL1000 owners think about their bikes?

I've been looking at Vstrom's since they came out in the US, but never pulled the trigger on one, until now. I just brought home a nice 2006 DL1000 on Sunday and am pretty pleased overall.

I've been riding for roughly 30 years with a few breaks in there of a year or so. Up to now, mainly big bore street bikes - Hayabusa's, ZRX's, ZX12, Triumphs Daytona's, etc. Tried a Versys earlier this year and that convinced me that now is the right time for something in the general Adventure/Utility category. That Versys proved too physically small and I found a buyer for it about the same time I closed the deal on the DL1000. Timing couldn't have been any better.

Looking forward to learning tips/tricks for this beasty and creating some good memories with it in the years to come.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts