StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to this site with my Samsung Droid Charge, I got a message offering to install the free motorcycle.com app. For some reason the install from there didn't work, but I found it in the Android marketplace and installed that way. Then I ran it and found stromtrooper.com as a supported forum, logged in and so far so good.

Couple of questions.

1. I don't see anything else about the motorcycle.com app on this site. Must be somewhere, what am I missing and why isn't it promoted more?

2. It looks exactly like Tapatalk. Is it? Or can I use Tapatalk instead?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tapatalk apparently supports a different kind of forum software as I understand it. I do like Tapatalk more but can only use VSRI and ADVRider on it. The motorcycle.com app is a little more limited.

Honestly, if I didn't have a kick-ass software development day job, I'd do something about the general state of forum software. Google's Wave had potential, but with a ridiculous UI and marketing, destined to fail.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use it all the time. It wasn't free though. I use it do I can check throughout the day, rather then check at home and have 300 threads to scan.

I also bought tapatalk for viewing vsri

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I haven't installed any of the apps. for this type of thing.

Why does everyone think they need it?

I can access forum websites and anything else internet related with my android phone without add ons, it is almost the same as using my computer- just a smaller screen and a touch keyboard seems to be the only difference.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why does everyone think they need it?
You answered your own question.

I can access forum websites and anything else internet related with my android phone without add ons, it is almost the same as using my computer- just a smaller screen and a touch keyboard seems to be the only difference.
Because it is different, and it's easier :) much much easier. Do you need the app? No. Is it worth $3? Most certainly.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Because it is different, and it's easier :) much much easier. Do you need the app? No. Is it worth $3? Most certainly.
:confused::confused::confused:
How much f**k'n easier does it need to be than what I already have now?

I'm already lazy enough without making anything easier for me. :jawdrop:
:green_lol::green_lol:

And $3 of gas takes me a looong way on my Wee. :fineprint:

The only time I use my android for net access is when at work [and I use it a LOT].
I have a desktop, two laptops, a netbook and a HP tablet, no shortage of things to access the forums on. :yikes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, don't use it. But, that is just your opinion. I like the TapTalk app. It lets me keep in touch with my favorite forums (all except this one) without having to break out a computer. I can take a picture with my iphone, make a post and upload the picture all in one action.

As for the motorcycle.com app, I will not buy that. There is no reason why TapTalk could not be activated on this site as well. Maybe they should figure out a way to make the app only available to those with upgraded memberships.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Tapatalk apparently supports a different kind of forum software as I understand it.
That is not quite true. This forum would work with the tapatalk app. Vertical Scope wants their own app to cash in on their cows.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app, while drinking a latte, eating a burger, driving through a school zone 20 mph over the speed limit with my feet on the wheel!

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I don't use the APP on my iPhone. While using WIFI at home I opened the home page and logged on, then I saved that particulat page on mt screen, a shortcut, .Now when ever I have WIFI i click the page and I'm here automatically. No Fuss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The search feature on this app is terrible. I type in tire or tyre and gives me no results. I am just trying to find some info on some tire options.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The built in search feature requires five characters to keep the index size down. Instead of the built in search button in the top band, use the custom Google search box just below it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there a mobile version of this site? I have a BB and picture downloads are the death of the BB. Other forums have a mobile site that does not include pictures.

I would like to access the site while on the road and post from the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The built in search feature requires five characters to keep the index size down. Instead of the built in search button in the top band, use the custom Google search box just below it.
Are you referring to IOS or Droid?
In the IOS I only see the search button at the bottom.
And yes, your tip of 5 characters or more works! I can search mobile and find this thread but tire finds none.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts