StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, Stromnado down hard. I was almost home, just 3 blocks away when a SUV took a quick left about 18 feet in front of me. 2005 650dl so no abs, I locked em up hard at close to 40mph for about 10 feet hit the pavement and kicked her away from me as I flopped and rolled. I ended up with a fractured right elbow, broken right wrist and a T-7 vertebrae 50% crushed in front and 25% crushed in the back. Glad I had all the gear on as it was all trashed and probably saved my life.
But enough about me, the thread title states Stromnado down, not Stromnado pilot down. Stromnado hit hard on her left side, bent the Givi engine guards almost to the radiator, slid rear wheel into the SUVs passenger rear wheel and pivoted under the rear of the vehicle. I'm in the process of putting Her back on the road and am looking for some help in finding parts. Specifically front fairing bracket, instrument cluster, headlight assembly, the wrap around front black plastic, and the gear shifter side footpeg. I sure would appreciate any help from my fellow Stromtroopers. Heck a tornado didn't stop her and I'm sure not gonna let this little hiccup stop me from enjoying many more hours of V-Strom fun. Thanks, Tom
IMG_0038 (1).jpg

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ouch! Those damned statistics - left turns in front account for a huge # of bikers getting injured.
Just yesterday I made a right turn at a green light and damned if this millennial in a dinky red car turned right there at the corner to get into a Starbucks.
All I can say is practice pays off - I did not try to hit the brakes in the turn and countersteered HARD to veer left around him. I am surprised that I didn't clip his rear with my panniers as I veered.
I had my Garmin VIRB running (specifically for this type event) and my wife was horrified at how close it had been.
Prolly shouldna showed her ;)
Get well quick bro - hope yer back in the saddle soon.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Ouch, glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

Why are you looking for parts? Shouldn't the SUV driver's insurance be covering it?

The bike is more than likely totaled for an insurance standpoint. Some money for your gear and pain and suffering...

Hey new bike time!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ouch, glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

Why are you looking for parts? Shouldn't the SUV driver's insurance be covering it?

The bike is more than likely totaled for an insurance standpoint. Some money for your gear and pain and suffering...

Hey new bike time!

what he said . :fineprint:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Reactions: jrnyer

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Heal fast.....or in other words; 're-coup, and re-bike quickly' !

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
I did a similar in Utah. Replaced the headlight bucket and the mounting bracket. The plastic surround was minor damage.
I got parts from Florida suppliers for a few hundred bucks. Good as new.
I was lucky and had a witness and the police report found the other feller at fault. All my expenses were covered.
i had minor physical injury and the INS gave me a very nice pain and suffering check. Think of what i coulda done with a lawyer?
I'm still riding the same ole POS and enjoying it.
F-in lucky on my part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for validating my perspective notacop I had sitting at the time of the "incident" [ I like to think of it as attempted negligent vehicular homicide ] a new set of tires, new sprockets and chain. thanks to my brother Bumblevee we have done the fork and brake fluids and pads, tires get mounted tomorrow and parts from e-bay will finish the job. I know there are new bikes out there, but this is my V-Strom, there are many like it but this one is mine. Can't wait to break in the new tires. Cheers.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
I couldn't think of abandoning my Wee when it took a tumble. A few parts from fellow members and a parts from Florida it is good as new.
It's a great bike.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I couldn't think of abandoning my Wee when it took a tumble. A few parts from fellow members and a parts from Florida it is good as new.
It's a great bike.
Where in Florida did you get the parts?

·
Vendor
5,437 Posts
Man I hope you get better.

I sincerely believe auxiliary lights help prevent these kinds of accidents. Whether you get cheap ones or really good ones more lights and a larger more varied visual footprint helps ensure people see you.

Somewhere around this forum is a link to a motorcycle safety study that speaks to this kind of thing. Bottom line is lights high and low in a T shape is best, but anything with a bigger visual footprint is better than a smaller visual footprint.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Man I hope you get better.

I sincerely believe auxiliary lights help prevent these kinds of accidents. Whether you get cheap ones or really good ones more lights and a larger more varied visual footprint helps ensure people see you.

Somewhere around this forum is a link to a motorcycle safety study that speaks to this kind of thing. Bottom line is lights high and low in a T shape is best, but anything with a bigger visual footprint is better than a smaller visual footprint.
IMHO briighter/more lights is the single most effective safety mod to any motorcycle.
When I installed HID's on my last bike my close encounters dropped dramatically whether it was coming or going. In a sense people are predators and we notice things more readily when they appear "bigger" - more of a threat.
So when I got my Glee first thing I looked for was brighter lights. Turns out LED lights draw less power - so was pretty much a no-brainer with benefits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rick, This happened in the spring, so my arm is pretty much healed, back still hurts and I am getting physical therapy for that. I just settled with their insurance for the property damage hence putting the bike back together. I was planning on installing a headlight modulator and some auxillary lights on the back. Any specific recommendations for the front?

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
"Where in Florida did you get the parts?"

Leesons motors new oem headlight bucket $256.45 found on flea bay.
The headlight bucket bracket I got from Florida too but can;t find that receipt.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What "Ya'll" said.
Could have been much worse, hope you heal quick...

uncaged

·
Vendor
5,437 Posts
We have a full light kit for the Gen 1 bikes. I'm really impressed with the durability and quality of our newest lights. You can use a light bar like in our kit or mount the lights lower on the fork tubes using the upper tangs.

The headlight modulators are a sure fire way to get noticed. Some people think they may be a little offensive to oncoming drivers and they are not legal in all states, but if you're concerned about getting noticed they will do the job.

I personally would put auxiliary lights on the light bar and Skeene photon blasters down below on the forks. This will give you the maximum visual footprint, the flicker effect, and the best overall footprint shape.

Skene Design Motorcycle Visibility Lights

If I had that spinal injury I would want the best I could get. I feel that way about my brother-in-law's recent injury as well. On oncoming car struck a Harley that had laid down in the road shooting it right at him. No time to react, hit the HD in the gas tank, flipped several times in the air and landed on his head. he had symptoms of a concussion for about three weeks. He is a full grown man with the ability to make his own decisions, but my input is for as safe a bike as he can afford. High quality effective ABS brakes, traction control, good handling characteristics, etc. Yes, that sounds like a Vee2.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The headlight modulators are a sure fire way to get noticed. Some people think they may be a little offensive to oncoming drivers and they are not legal in all states, but if you're concerned about getting noticed they will do the job.

I personally would put auxiliary lights on the light bar and Skeene photon blasters down below on the forks. This will give you the maximum visual footprint, the flicker effect, and the best overall footprint shape...
Personally I think that headlight modulators are annoying to everyone that has to look at them. Perhaps if there was a switch to turn them off when behind someone at a light they would be more polite.

Most states have limits on the number of forward facing lights. Also amber auxiliary lights are much more noticeable to me, if that's what you're going for.

·
Vendor
5,437 Posts
The Skeene photon blasters come in amber.

I have never heard of a limit on forward facing lights so I did a google search. Here is the first I found.

(A) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlights also is equipped with any auxiliary lights or spotlight or any other light on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, not more than a total of five of any such lights on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when the vehicle is upon a highway.

1 candlepower equals 12.57 lumens, so 300 candlepower = 3810 lumens

I think we are all safe adding as many additional lights as we like if all the rules are like this one.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The Skeene photon blasters come in amber.

I have never heard of a limit on forward facing lights so I did a google search. Here is the first I found.

(A) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlights also is equipped with any auxiliary lights or spotlight or any other light on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, not more than a total of five of any such lights on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when the vehicle is upon a highway.

1 candlepower equals 12.57 lumens, so 300 candlepower = 3810 lumens

I think we are all safe adding as many additional lights as we like if all the rules are like this one.

My state California has a limit of 4 lights forward lighted at one time with no mention of candle power.

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing
to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
system shall be considered as one lamp.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency
vehicle

I don't agree with bright lights during the day either. Makes the bike disappear in glare.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You gonna let 'em hijack your thread Stromnado? We need some parts!!!!!!!!!! C'mon, who has some of this stuff lying around. We will pay for your stuff that gathers dust. See complete list in Wanted to Buy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts