StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stromette here looking for a bit of help in the Calgary area. If all goes as planned I'll be there in July on my Strom to pick up my Dad at the Calgary airport and take 7-10 days to run the Canadian Rockies w/a shot down to Glacier. My issue is that since I'll be heading on up to Alaska afterwards and will have all my gear with me, I need to drop a chunk of it to make room for Dad and his gear. Anyone have extra space for a bag or two, or recommendations as to where I might stow such for a week? Thanks in advance for the assistance. ;)

Stromette

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Calgary Stampede

Stromette,

July in Calgary means one thing above all: the Stampede!

http://www.stampede.coolattractions.com/events.html

This year, it's July 6-15, and I hope you can experience a whole lot of it.

The wonderful city of Calgary opens its arms to all comers, and presents a myriad of experiences that visitors never forget. You are very fortunate if your trip to Calgary Alberta coincides with the Stampede.

I wish I could be there with you, but as it happens I will be as far away from you as I can be, and still be in Canada.

Apart from this encouragement, I can be of no help to you, but Albertans I have known are gracious folk, and someone will offer you the help you seek.

Enjoy!

Keith

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Stomette, I am former calgarian and have a great riding buddy there. I am certain he would be pleased to help you out.
Let me know if your interested.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Infact, depending on when you are there, I may very well be as well. I go out that way several times a summer on my Wee. Some great local rides if you have the time.

Cheers again,

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Stomette, I talked to my pal and he would be happy to hold your gear for you. I will send you a private msg with his email. You can then contact him with the details.

cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Wolf, did you ever get a response from Stromette?...just curious.

Cheers!

ps: ur in Cowtown now?...i often travel out there during the summer, and plan a Saddle Sore run right around May long, which includes Calgary.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Never got a response, but I think sghe has made arrangements with someone anyway.

Yes I'm in Cowtown and would love to hook up when you get this way. I work shiftwork so if I know in advance when you are arriving I can let you know if I can meet you. Just checked my schedule and I'm working the entire May 24 weekend

Wolf, did you ever get a response from Stromette?...just curious.

Cheers!

ps: ur in Cowtown now?...i often travel out there during the summer, and plan a Saddle Sore run right around May long, which includes Calgary.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thanks Wolf, it wont be the actual long wknd that we come out that way, it will be 16-20th or 24 to 29th of May. It depends on my rudding buddies schedule.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Stromette has been sort of busy lately. Picked up a new bike in my part of the country and rode it back to AZ. The Alaska trip is still on for later in the summer (late July, I think) and I'm sure she will be in touch with you guys up that way. I don't think she has done a lot of trip planning on that one yet since there are a couple of others ahead of it ;)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
May 16trh & 17th I'll be around but I'm flying to Toronto at the end of May for a charity ride. Thankfully I have a bike availabel to use when I get there :mrgreen:

Thanks Wolf, it wont be the actual long wknd that we come out that way, it will be 16-20th or 24 to 29th of May. It depends on my rudding buddies schedule.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Wolf, unsure if you have tried this route, its a real nice day ride, lots of bikes usually on the road. Go west of Calgary, then south on 22, down to Longview and then take the Peter Lougheed Hwy up to Kananaskis. Very enjoyable ride. Then take the 1A back into Calgary, thru Cochrane.

Some great cafe's along the way, including Ian Tysons in Longview.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Geez, apparently something is wrong w/my auto-notification in regards to new posts as I never received any emails about these replies.:( Thanks to SCraig for alerting me!

I'm trying to pinpoint my Dad on our schedule, plans, etc and hopefully will have more info sooner. Please know that I very much appreciate the help guys!

Stromette

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Have beem on 22 through to Kanaskis for sure but not exactly sure what esle as of yet. Have taken the 1A from Canmore to Clagary a cpl times and it's very enjoyable :p

Wolf, unsure if you have tried this route, its a real nice day ride, lots of bikes usually on the road. Go west of Calgary, then south on 22, down to Longview and then take the Peter Lougheed Hwy up to Kananaskis. Very enjoyable ride. Then take the 1A back into Calgary, thru Cochrane.

Some great cafe's along the way, including Ian Tysons in Longview.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Route feedback?

Wondering if I could get some feedback on my possible route pictured below? (btw, disregard the little blue moons & yellow numbers as they do not denote anything pertinant). Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please note I'll be doing this 2up w/my Dad as a passenger so serious off-road side trips on the Strom are out of the question. Some of my specfic questions are:

*What kind of mileage per day is reasonable in this route. Sure, I could run it in one day but for the flower sniffin' pace what should I plan to cover?
*Any recommended places to stay (or avoid)? As of now, we'll be starting and ending this route in Calgary (though if my Dad doesn't get his act in gear and get his Passport that could change!;)) and this the reason for my original post here (since I'll be coming from Phoenix then continuing on to AK).
*Is there a preference in the direction the route is run (clockwise or counterclockwise)?
*My understanding is there is a free ferry from Kootenay Bay to Balfour and also from Galena Bay to Shelter Bay. How might I find out their schedule? Any odd requirements for taking the ferry?

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Stromette

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Looks like a great route, however, I might suggest you take hwy 22 south to Pincher Creek, rather than hwy 2. Rather more scenic, and you just have to go west of Calgary a few miles to catch it. I also recommend taking the old 1A out of the west end of calgary, again, a nicer winding road with next to no traffic and takes you past a nice small lake (Ghost Lake if I recall).

Cheers!

Rick (former Calgarian)

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Too bad you have to turn East at Nakusp. The ride West from there to Vernon is amazing. My wife and I took it last year. Oh, and I agree with the 1A route out of Calgary.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
+1 on what both Heavy and rcacs said. #2 highway is boring slab for just about its entire length. Both 1A and 22 were made before it was easy to blast everything out of the way to make a straight line.
There are lots of really nice roads throughout the interior of BC. It really would take a long time to see them all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kootenay roads for Stromette

The road from Nakusp is a great ride, but you have two of the best in BC on your trip, New Denver to Kaslo (Stop in Sandon, great ghost town) and Creston to Kootenay Bay. The "Destination Highways" guide to British Columbia for Motor Cycle Enthusiasts rates them as #3 and #1 overall out of 185 highways to ride, the Vernon to Fauquier road is up there at #16. Stop at the "Apple Tree" for lunch in New Denver and the "Vahalla Inn" is motorcycle friendly, they had a display at the last Vancouver Motorcycle Show. Beautiful country.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts