StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

As the title says, my DL650 won't start. More accurately it won't turn over.
I removed the tank last week for paint, reinstalled said tank, and ran abiut 4 gallons of gas through it no problems.

Last night I start it up and it was idling very rough like it was running out of gas. Then it died.
I figure I just ran it dry and take a trip to the gas station. Four gallons later still not turning over.

Pump primes, cranks, but still doesn't turn over.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Turn over and crank mean the same things to me. If the starter turns/cranks but the engine isn't firing.......

The fact that it cranks eliminates the safety switches. Unless something is malfunctioning, the usual cause for an engine that fails to start when cranking is flooding. Opening the throttle to let in more air handles that. Otherwise, the usual checks for spark, fuel presence/quality and compression need to be done. There may be a lot of water in the fuel for example.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Is there any chance the fuel connections under the tank were not properly seated and have come loose? I hate that primary fuel connection; it's really touchy and seem easy to mis-connect.

·
38,104 Posts
Is there any chance the fuel connections under the tank were not properly seated and have come loose? I hate that primary fuel connection; it's really touchy and seem easy to mis-connect.
That would have fuel obviously spilling all over.

·
38,104 Posts
If it were completely off would that allow "pump primes and cranks" but not starting?
Yes but the fuel smell and puddle would be obvious and none was mentioned.

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Yes but the fuel smell and puddle would be obvious and none was mentioned.
On my Strom the fuel line can be disconnected and no fuel flows other than a small initial bit that was in the connector.

I think that we should find out what he means by "Cranks but doesn't turn over".

If he meant the fuel pump runs but the starter motor/bike motor doesnt turn over that is one thing (safety switches like clutch interlock are suspect), but if the motor turns over and it doesn't fire up and run then that is another with the strong likelyhood that the fuel line is not hooked up properly.

..Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whew! It's tough sometimes isn't it?

As the title says, my DL650 won't start. More accurately it won't turn over
Your second sentence says to me, the electric starter motor on your engine does not turn the engine over.
Is that true?

dave

·
38,104 Posts
If the fuel pump is running and the hose is not connected, gas will flow out merrily. It's only when the fuel pump is not running that gas is held in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to wait so long been working day and night. In fact I'm off to my other job now, so I wont be able to even check today.

To clarify,

When key is turned the fuel pump primes, as in that light buzzing sound.
When the starter button if pressed, the starter cranks but the engine doesn't fire. When the throttle is twisted it still doesn't fire but has a different sounding starter crank.

Order of event,

Tank was removed. Fuel pump was removed from tank, too.
Tank and pump were reinstalled.
Gas was added (~3 gallons)
Bike was ridden all over burning up most of the 3 gallons.

Bike sat for about a week

Went to start bike. It started up and ran rough and promptly died (about a true minute).
Bike would not start again.
4 gallons fresh fuel added.
Still a no go

Call up my buddies and cancel ride.
Was offered a ride on back of friend's bike.
I Declined.

No gas smell or puddle of gas. I did hear of that the inner-tank pump doesn't let gas run out of it (while researching tank removal), but if the hose came off, does that mean I was just minutes from running out of gas on the ride? Also, wouldn't the pump just sprew gas everywhere at start-up??

Thanks for the help, Its finally getting into nice weather and I want to ride.

PS. I always considered "cranking" as the starter turning and "turning over" as the engine firing.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Maybe your fuel tank was contaminated while it was off for painting. If so, the mesh fuel filter on the low pressure side may be clogged. The fuel filter cartridge on the high pressure side could also be clogged.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I just got done checking the fuel line from the pump (under the tank) and It is attached fine. I disconnected it and reconnected it to be sure.

Also there are no codes thrown (C-00).

I am thinking that it is a fuel problem. I looked for a trouble shooting flow chart but didnt find one. any ideas of where to start? I have to admit that it is getting pretty frustrating.

I guess I can pull off the tank again and look at that mesh filter, but I had no loss of power prior to the "clog", so if there are simpler checks i would rather entertain that option first

Thanks

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump should prime for 3 seconds. I believe that means that it should be pumping fuel. Check that first is what I would do. Regardless of the results, I would then press the start button and as the engine cranks fuel should once again flow. I am not sure of the safe way to check this. I would bet that you are not pumping fuel since you just worked on the tank removal and pump removal. Wait for more replies from others who know much more than me.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Look up fuel pump test so many cc's in time

As a minimum just see if it fills a glass

Make sure what comes out is gas not water

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran a hose from the pump to cup as mentioned earlier (thanks btw) and primed 3 times. I almost filled the cup so I guess its not the pump. Checked the line from the pump engine and no clogs.

Perhaps, this is not a fuel issue.

I have gas and air. Looks like spark is the next on the list.

The hunt continues.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I ran a hose from the pump to cup as mentioned earlier (thanks btw) and primed 3 times. I almost filled the cup so I guess its not the pump. Checked the line from the pump engine and no clogs.

Perhaps, this is not a fuel issue.

I have gas and air. Looks like spark is the next on the list.

The hunt continues.
The prime lasts for about 3 seconds and fuel pumps. Does fuel pump after the prime if you press the start button which cranks the engine?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Just checked and fuel flows at 3 second prime and when running the starter.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: pulled the easy spark plug (right side) and plugged it to the wire and grounded it. It had a faint yellow spark. Perhaps the plugs are fouled.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Small chance you have water in the gas

It might still be in the injectors and need to be run out

If the aircleaner top is off hit it with some starter fluid and 1/2 throttle

Even if she's a little wet she should fire, then with a little time and heat she may keep going

1 - 20 of 29 Posts