StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, you read it right. Hit an oil slick on the way home tonight and crash, down she went. It had been raining off and on all day and all the oil was laying on the left side of the exit ramp we were getting off. I watched my buddy on his Goldwing almost wipe out on it also, but he corrected it, I couldn't. The worst part is I didn't it the brakes. It landed on its right side, slid straight into the wall, bounced off and slid about another 30ft and ended facing to opposite direction, staring right at me. I landed about flat on my stomach, bounced my head off the pavement, and slid about 25 ft. I am completely unscathed. Again. Good gear to thank for that. Which is why I think I should call it quits. At least for a while.

The bike fairly messed up. Front fairing, gauge, surround, headlight, front fender, right fork, right crash bar, right side luggage rack , bars are tilted about 15 degrees to left, bar end, right hand guard, right mirror, Givi top case blew apart into about 4 diferent pieces, amotostuff topcase mount is bent, both right side foot pegs broke off, rear brake lever is bent straight up. Probably other stuff I didn't notice. It ran perfectly. I rode it home.

I am assuming that it will be fixed, so there may be a Strom for sale in the future. I am just hoping I will be able to sell it with the history it will have. Nobody is keen on buying a wrecked and repaired bike, icluding myself.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Are you saying that you have totalled two of these bikes so far? WOW! I am glad you are okay!!!!!
Would you be thinking of parting it out? How about the rims?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright. Between the cagers and the debris/oil on the roads, we should all be more careful. I hit a slick spot on an entrance ramp to the highway and nearly lost it, but again, glad to hear you are okay even if the bike isn't.

·
Administrator
16,595 Posts
Wow Bob I am so glad you are OK!!!!!:eek6: You seem to be in pretty decent spirits all things considered.....just glad to be safe and sound I guess. Sorry to hear that the new ride is trashed, but it sounds like you will be riding again. Once again the proper riding gear has saved you from expensive medical bills and physical therapy. We never know when we will go down, but we need to be properly prepared for when it does.

Take care of yourself.....I'm sure you will be sore for a while.

Brian

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had my first experience with ABS in anger when I hit a patch of oil near a 4 way intersection between 2 busy boulevards. A dump truck evidently lost its transmission, and the oil just spilled all over for about 50 feet. The truck itself was on the other side of the intersection, as I found out after.

I was in the process of slowing down for the traffic light, and I hit the patch. I literally skidded clear across the intersection and stop inches away from a really big set of eyeballs (well, they did look really big across his windshield anyway). Walked away, no harms done, needed new underwear.

The thing is, I was in a 97 Mazda B4000 pick up truck.

Shyte happens man. Take the time you need, but go ahead and get back in the saddle if you can. Gear is designed for one thing only, and it's not to look cool - that's a marketing requirement. I keep telling the wife that I dress for the crash, not the ride. And I've crashed twice, once I totaled the bike and rode the ambulance. Very, very glad you're okay.

Take care,
Rich

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you feel like sharing, I'd love to know what you were wearing, and helmet.
Tourmaster Intake jacket. Shows some scrapage but not worn through.
Tourmaster Venture air pants. Small hole in the left knee and the pad is slightly exposed. Other than that show very little signs of crash.
KBC Force RR helmet. Bounced rather well.
Off-brands leather gloves. Scraped up pretty bad but not worn through.
Tourmaster cortech solution boots.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is no substitute for good riding gear, it's value cannot be understated! You've made me seriously rethink my open faced helmet.....

·
0 Posts
That sucks Bob:(

I'm very glad you're OK!!!

ATGATT!!!

Proof.....I'm just sayin....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Bob,

I'm glad to hear that you came out unscathed.
Too bad about your bike, mine's on the railer right now.
I hit a guardrail sunday morning daydreaming instead of riding. My damage is not nearly as extensive, I limped home the 30 miles.

I guess I'll find out later today what the future holds for my Wee.

I know you'll hear 100 times how lucky you are, while your pissed that you ride is toast.

Take it easy,

Norm

Norm

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Glad to see you were ready for such an accident(gear) and didn't suffer injury. I think many of us would take a little time off after an accident like that. Probably the smart thing to do. Take care and i hope you continue to hang around on this site till you're ready to ride again...J.R.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am completely unscathed. Again.
That's the most important thing here. Bikes can be replaced. The fact that you had the stones to get right back on and ride it home shows remarkable fortitude. No one would blame you for wanting a break for a while. Glad you're OK!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Are you saying that you have totalled two of these bikes so far? WOW! I am glad you are okay!!!!!
Would you be thinking of parting it out? How about the rims?
The first response to this thread is some guy tryin to strip your bike down for parts. What a vulture!!! wow

Anyway, glad to hear your alright. I think you might be correct in hanging it up for a while. I would probably be pretty stressful on a bike right now.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You've made me seriously rethink my open faced helmet.....
I read somewhere a safety study that showed 34% of motorcyclist head/road meetings are in the jaw area. For my part I will always choose a full-face. I may be ugly but it could get even worse, and if I lost my lower jaw I'd have to give up cigars, not to mention deal with that unsightly drool on my shirt front.

And when I take my wife for a ride I make her gear up like friggin' Robocop.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glad you came through. The damage you describe sounds like a total to me (based on my experience with a KLR a couple of years ago). I wanted to rebuild the KLR so insisted on buying back the salvage.

You, on the other hand, sound like you want out, so don't let the insurance company back you into a rebuild. While you may not be successful, tell them your desire it to total it. If they do a rebuild, then you get the repair bids and insist that the shop used is credible and replaces everything....no straightening and such.

Hope it works out the way you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bob, hope your feeling better today. I got some pics here - Id say the road is smooth - very smooth from the pictures.

Patrick

1 - 20 of 43 Posts