StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked my new 2011 650 strom. Now I have a few months before the weather gets better. I want to start adding my electronics. GPS, hand warmers, aux. driving lights etc... Where have you guys mounted the switches and other stuff. Would like to see some pics and get some ideas.
Thanks Dinski

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Would like to see some pics and get some ideas.
Thanks Dinski
How about a video?

I like Ontario.

You might like this.

(It has no relevance to a stock DL-650. But, it may provide you with some inspiration!)

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Just picked my new 2011 650 strom. Now I have a few months before the weather gets better. I want to start adding my electronics. GPS, hand warmers, aux. driving lights etc... Where have you guys mounted the switches and other stuff. Would like to see some pics and get some ideas.
Thanks Dinski
Just passing on a suggestion that I plan on doing this spring. I also have several switches I'd love to put in but have not because I can't bring myself to drill holes in my expensive fairing.

Greywolf pointed out that the little plate at the top of the gas tank that bridges the cowling only costs like $30 I'm putting my switches there

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here's my setup:

The cruise control switch is obvious. The knob to the right controls the heated grips. The toggle switch on top is the cruise control cancel switch. The LED is the indicator for the Chargalert (charging system monitor).

I struggled with putting holes in the instrument cluster cover, too. I lost the battle and ended up putting three 1/4" holes forward on the right side that are used for photo transistors. They are for shift indicator dimming, detector display dimming, and headlight modulator. I priced the panel and it was $76.00. If I ever have to replace it (selling bike?) it won't be that much of a burden.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Black Lab,

You have shown something in that video I have asked several dealers about. That is, a front wheel generator ... similar to what we powered our pedal bicycle lights with years ago.

I have often thought that some type of generator that only operated when the front wheel is moving would be ideal for attaching heated gloves or additional lights to etc. That way the stock stator isn't stressed by having too many items attached to it.

After-all auxiliary lighting is really only necessary while moving. When stopped at a traffic light it is not nearly so important. Heated grips and/or vests etc. are the same. When I am not moving neither my hands or torso get real cold.

I could see it as an ideal solution for when you are riding 2-up. The pilot is already blocking all the wind from the pillion. If their heated vest turned off accordingly for the 60 - 180 seconds you are waiting at a stop-light, it wouldn't have time to cool off and the pillion should remain comfortable.

Nobody I know however has any idea who or where to get one. I don't believe that the additional "rolling resistance" to the front tire developed by some type of generator would significantly (negatively) impact power or gas mileage.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mounts for the 12 volt sockets look good and it sure beats drilling the plastic.
Going to find a way to mount switches by left grip may be using mirror extender.
Will post pics once under way. Still have to order a few pieces from eastern beaver.
Thanks Dinski

1 - 10 of 10 Posts