StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to modify my 02 DL1000 to be more of a sport tour bike..
higher bars, taller windscreen, hard bags...

I am tall and the seating position really is not comfortable for much than 150-200 miles, soI need a soime changes.

anyone put new bars...taller and closer?
I already have a tall screen and a laminar flow lip, but still get lots of wind, noise and buffeting.

Have looked at the hard bags, but they are expensive...

Any suggestions?

thanks
tom parsons
baton rouge, la

·
Registered
236 Posts
My suggestions:

MP Cycledesigns windshield $295

Genmar Up & Back risers

Givi bags and racks. I have E36N's on the side and a E45N on top.

An idea of cost from http://www.amotostuff.com

X102 GenMar Mfg Handlebar Risers 7/8" Univ - 1" Up 1-3/8"
Back Silver 1 $94.00 $94.00
E36N GIVI E36N Monokey Side Case-Flat Black 2
$151.34 $302.68
E45N GIVI E45N Monokey Side/Top Case-Flat Black 1
$153.22 $153.22
E528 GIVI E528 Monokey Topcase Mounting Kit-Suzuki VStrom
650/1000 1 $73.70 $73.70
PL532 GIVI PL532 Monokey Sidecase Mounting Kit-Suzuki V-Strom
650 1 $138.68 $138.68

So you're looking at a tad over $1000 to be setup really well for all-day touring. Well worth it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sawguard, I have a DL1000 with the Kappa hard bags tail and side. SWmoto crash bars OEM center stand and Suzuki Tall windscreen. Look around on this site and there are some pretty neat bags from JC Witney for cheap that look pretty good... The Kappas are ok but pretty expensive and the quality is questionable in my opinion. I have had some cracks on the side bags.. For around 750 it is somewhat dissapointing. The bike is a very capable tourer. I do a lot of two up riding...enjoy yours
From Slidell, La.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
sawguard said:
I would like to modify my 02 DL1000 to be more of a sport tour bike..
higher bars, taller windscreen, hard bags...

I am tall and the seating position really is not comfortable for much than 150-200 miles, soI need a soime changes.

anyone put new bars...taller and closer?
I already have a tall screen and a laminar flow lip, but still get lots of wind, noise and buffeting.

tom parsons
baton rouge, la
I'm tall at 6', had issues with the DL1000 seat on my 650. In desperation I unstapled the seat cover, took a bread knife to the hump on the seat and levelled it off toward the rear, got the seat recovered. The surgery has completely cured the seat issues now I can move back more . This also has helped with the buffeting problem, to the extent that the bike is now excellent for me, as opposed to pretty good before. I bought a Laminar Lip, didn't do a thing for me. Junked it after a couple of days. I don't get the buffeting now, but a little more noise than I would like. Ear plugs fix it.

I weekend tour on my bike, I can get everything I need into a 30 litre top box, plus a Baglux Alpha tank bag. The rest gets strapped to the pillion seat in a water-proof bag, like the yachties use, including a tent and sleeping bag.

I've had hard luggage on all my other bikes, but I live in a city, and it slows me down in traffic. So I get by pretty well with the setup I have..

The seat sugery was the best thing I ever did for that bike. Can now tour up to 800 miles in a day (on a 650).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts