StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolt #5 (see diagram below) stripped out when cleaning the calipers the other day. I am going to have a shop take a look and see if they can helicoil it or something similar. Does anybody know the size of the bolt/thread size? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
you must mean the caliper is stripped, not the bolt. bummer. looks like kind of a tight fit for a helicoil. you might have to replace the caliper. if i were you i'd start hunting on e-bay.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I meant the caliper. I've got a new caliper assembly on order for $110 bucks. I was just hoping the shop could helicoil it so I could go on a holiday weekend ride. I think it makes me more grouchy that I will have to drive the car for 2 weeks than the caliper cost. :(

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
If you take the bolt to the shop they can figure out what size helicoil is needed. I did a similar oops putting on a valve cover recently. The parts guy just measured the bolt and ordered me the correct helicoil.
If the shop will be doing the helicoil you would have to also bring the caliper of course.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed The local shop ran a tap through it and fixed it up nice for $7. Kudos to them!

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actual it was a local shop down here in the Chicago suburbs. Sorry I could not be of more help :)

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Had the same problem on mine. That's a nasty bolt.
Cleaned it out with a tap and it works okay. Mental note not to overtighten next time. That rubber boot makes it difficult to tell if the bolt's threading properly.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Now I don't feel so bad. I had the same problem myself. Ended up running a tap through it also.

That damn rubber boot was the biggest PITA to get it right.

Tige

1 - 10 of 10 Posts