StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was installing my T-Rex engine guard and used OEM Manual torque spec (26 ftlbs) for this 6mm Hex bolt. I double checked setting on wrench before proceeding. T-Rex's bolt was unscathed but I stripped the innards of the hole. Can the hole be re-threaded? I did not use factory torque specs for the rest of the assembly, I just tightened as best I could.
I called T-Rex and they were very friendly but didn't really have specifics other than follow OEM recommendations. Their product is great but bike is unrideable (I think) w/o the bolt fully secured.

Anyone successfully install these and what if any t-specs did you use? Big question is can this be safely re-threaded? I'll call Suzuki dlr tomorrow and hopefully they have skill to do this as I do not want to attempt this..

Thanks for feedback!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry you have to learn this the hardway but that torque value is an error in the manual. It should be 16.5 lb-ft.
Bolt Torque Valves DL1000 & DL650.

I would not call in the (expensive) calavry just yet, i.e. the dealer. I would remove that V-bracket completely and then inspect the hole and interior threads. That hole is a through-hole and threaded all the way to the other side. It is possible that the bolt that T-Rex gave you is not actually long enough to go all the way through. So maybe it didn't damage all the threads and there is enough bite left to get it to work. If you clean up the threads with a thread chaser and get a longer bolt it may still work okay. Also, I think there is room behind the frame to install a nut and washer if the threads are completely munged. If you have to go this route, just make sure the nut is not abraiding the harness or anything else important on the backside and it should work fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry you have to learn this the hardway but that torque value is an error in the manual. It should be 16.5 lb-ft.
Bolt Torque Valves DL1000 & DL650.

I would not call in the (expensive) calavry just yet, i.e. the dealer. I would remove that V-bracket completely and then inspect the hole and interior threads. That hole is a through-hole and threaded all the way to the other side. It is possible that the bolt that T-Rex gave you is not actually long enough to go all the way through. So maybe it didn't damage all the threads and there is enough bite left to get it to work. If you clean up the threads with a thread chaser and get a longer bolt it may still work okay. Also, I think there is room behind the frame to install a nut and washer if the threads are completely munged. If you have to go this route, just make sure the nut is not abraiding the harness or anything else important on the backside and it should work fine.
That's a great idea DMF, will check that out. Wonder how many other values are wrong?

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you do a torque specs search you may find where Grey Wolf posted corrected info.
(Almost) everything I learned about the V-Strom I learned from GW. RIP.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Crisis averted, permanently, I hope. Many thanks to DMFs clever solution to buy a longer M8 bolt and see if it would grab & hold. I could only find a black non-SS 60mm M8 vs the supplied 50mm but it has same strength rating as one supplied by T-Rex. I slowly worked it back and forth out of slot, using compressed air to clean off any aluminum shards on bolt and inside slot which worked great! I applied 15 ft lbs which is just shy of the recommended and correct factory torque of 16.5 vs factory manual's misprint of ~26 ft lbs. So, thanks again to DMF and this great forum:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
** Updated ** - I missed where this had already been resolved before I posted. I really need to start reading more carefully.

For something like this I used to automatically recommend Heli-coil. Lately, I was referred to another solution called Timesert.
Take a look at both of them and see if it looks like one will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed this same engine guard and I got bit by this same misprint in the Service Manual (shame on you Suzuki) and shame on me for not looking here to see other's experiences. I used a M8x60 1.25 pitch SS bolt from Amazon as the makeshift repair.

To be fair T-Rex "suggests" 10-12 ft-lbs for 8mm bolts in their documentation. I should have known something was wrong when the Service manual said 26 ft-lbs and I should have researched further. It was 11:30pm at night and I was anxious to get the job done for a ride in the morning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks EBRA, i must have missed their torque note. I actually called them - they were very helpful but didn't cite their docs. Oh well, got it resolved with quick input from Stromtroopers..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts