Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2013 Gladius which I am pretty sure had the same motor as the DL650.I bought it used last year. Following the Haynes manual instructions I removed the drain plug and drained the system. When reinstalling I used a fresh washer and set my torque wrench to the recommended 13Nm/ 10 foot lbs. Problem is that bolt kept turning and the wrench never clicked, and now it seems I've stripped out the water pump threads. So, how screwed am I? I'm worried what was going to be something fairly simple is going to become a huge ordeal. Do I need to replace the water pump? Is there a way to just replace the cover without taking apart the entire clutch housing? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,934 Posts
The first option is to helicoil the hole. Look at these threads:

However, as this is just a drain plug you might find it easier (if you own a set of taps and dies) to tap it out, if there is room, to the next bolt size up. Depending on what you can see inside the pump cover.
A warning. Torque wrenches work best in the middle of their range. Using a 10-150lbs/ft torque wrench to tighten a bolt to 10lbs/ft is never a good idea. Better to use feel when inserting a steel bolt into a thin alloy case. You can probably apply 10lbs/ft by putting a medium length extension on a socket and turning it by hand without using any ratchet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts