StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this stretch net stuff on a lot of pictures of touring bikes;

Is this stuff any good? Do you need one on top and one on bottom to keep things from dropping out?

I'm thinking it might be handy to strap plastic bags and crap like that to the bike for longer trips.

What would be a good number of these to have? 4 minimum? or more?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I don't like nets.

I think those things are troublesome to carry because they tangle easily. They have lots of flimsy hooks, and our bikes don't have many places for them to grab without being able to slide.

I prefer to get a cheap satchel and put my cargo in that, then lash the satchel down with one or two bungee cords. Under the four bolts holding my luggage rack, I have loops of nylon strap, salvaged from even older satchels and the like, so my bungee cords have great places to grab without sliding.

I carry some sort of cargo most everywhere I go, and I haven't lost anything yet. I do not think I could honestly make that claim if I depended on nets with hooks.

You make your choices, and I hope they work for you. Mine suit me well.

Keith

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have one of the nets and something similar to THIS that I keep under my seat. Makes running an errand or buying something while out easy to get home. Just unfold the bag, toss the item(s) in and strap it down. I haven't done any touring using the net but it's handy to have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I see this stretch net stuff on a lot of pictures of touring bikes;

Is this stuff any good? Do you need one on top and one on bottom to keep things from dropping out?

I'm thinking it might be handy to strap plastic bags and crap like that to the bike for longer trips.

What would be a good number of these to have? 4 minimum? or more?
Coming from the Harley V-Rod world (e.g., limited luggage options), these things are extremely useful! However, they are not all created equal. Look for strong hooks as the cheaper models have really flimsy hooks. If you plan to keep more than one on hand I would recommend getting different sizes. Once in place they hold gear very well, but like I said make sure the hooks wont bend easily and that the net is big enough for what you want to carry. I think the one I have is about 12-15 inches and I can stretch that bad boy to strap a whole lot of stuff to my Harley. Fortunately for me I have the TRAX boxes on my new wee but I still carry a cargo net as bungee cords pale in comparison.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Used them in the past - very handy. Then I had a buddy go down as a result of a snapped bungee getting tangled in his chain. After seeing how quickly it happens and the results, I've been using only straps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Used them in the past - very handy. Then I had a buddy go down as a result of a snapped bungee getting tangled in his chain. After seeing how quickly it happens and the results, I've been using only straps.
+1 Make sure the hooks are solid. Cant agree that they are dangerous. Lots of folks use them every day. Like anything else, make sure you replace things as they wear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use them and they are very handy. The bike has a lot of places to connect them, especially with luggage racks on. today I used it to strap down my welding helmet because I wanted to ride with a backpack instead of luggage.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I make my own and use better hooks.

Properly made and fitted they are very useful and quite reliable, more so than a bungee cord.

You can tangle straps in a chain as well, and that's equally nasty.

Pete

·
Registered
184 Posts
these things

I have Top box and givi side panniers but use one of these things almost every day. They are extremly handy and I am about to purchase 3 more. Two for my wife and a second for myself. Rod

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have this Motorcycle Cargo Net - Third Gear and absolutely love it. The hooks are plastic but they're really sturdy, certainly stronger than some of those wire ones look. They have a clever design that let's you adjust the tension and they don't scratch the bike. possibly the best value for money and almost the most used accessory I've bought for the bike.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Take a close look at this picture.

It may look like the net is securing the yellow bag, but it's not. It's only for keeping handy light weight stuff - rags, jacket liner, towel, drying shirt/pants/undies, etc. I agree to never use a net to secure a load with any weight, unless you double or triple up, like RandyO says.

While I'm at it, the yellow bag contains tent, sleeping bag and air matress. The whole mess including chair, is secured with 2 bungee cords.

People will say bungees are inferior and dangerous. These people are inferior and dangerous (dangerous mostly to themselves) - I better stop before someone calls me a quack...

Anyway, this load has traveled at least 20,000 miles ridden hard down the twistiest roads in the U.S - without budging an inch.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my nets don't have the fixed hooks, they are the plastic ones that can be removed and attached to any strand.
Very versatile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had good luck with the cheap ones. The hooks are pretty flimsy but I only use them for secondary containment to keep loads from shifting. I used them on a recent Everglades/Keys trip to secure my tent,sleeping bag,etc (all light stuff). Like someone else said, it is a good way to carry wet stuff too.

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
"I've been using only straps."
1+ for that. I've used the nets before but for short distances. Not a first choice.
Ever see stuff blow across the freeway or on the side of the road? probably bungee-ed on. the net are like bungees. Sucky.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The bungie nets are great for holding stuff in place while you secure them with Rok Straps. Lighter stuff and short distances--nets are OK. More stuff and higher wind speeds and longer times--strap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts