StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a friend that did this and his kick stand broke after couple years. He took it to a welding shop and they reinforced it, its probably the strongest kick stand in the world. Cost him twenty bucks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
To get the back wheel off the ground to do chain maintenance I usually apply the front brake and then lift the back of the bike up so it rocks up onto the kickstand and the front tire. I then push a block of wood under the bottom of the rear suspension and then lower it back down. So I guess the kickstand can withstand at least the weight of the bike...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Be careful that the kickstand is fully forward if not when you put pressure on the peg and swing your leg over it will collapse and down you go. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nope, he means getting on like you do a horse, just stepping your left foot on the footpeg and standing up wile swinging a leg over. I do this maybe %98 of the time. A short guy thing, especially if you keep a hard case on the back.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
To get the back wheel off the ground to do chain maintenance I usually apply the front brake and then lift the back of the bike up so it rocks up onto the kickstand and the front tire. I then push a block of wood under the bottom of the rear suspension and then lower it back down. So I guess the kickstand can withstand at least the weight of the bike...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Though I'm not proud of it, and I certainly don't recommend anyone else try it, I've done much the same thing except I "balanced" the bike on the side stand and rear tire, raising the front wheel off the ground, then stuck a block of wood or something underneath to support the bike "just off balance" (with just a bit of weight on the block) so I could remove the front tire-wheel assembly for tire change. Dangerous and risky, but it worked. I haven't admitted I did this unsafe thing until now.

It put a lot of weight onto the side stand...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Boarding? :confused:

Like tilting the whole bike and spinning it around?
I use this method in my garage every time I come home from a ride. This has been done on three different Stroms, over a seven year period. I would say I've done this hundreds of times and never had a problem. So, can you mount the bike while it's on the sidestand? I would say yes, as long as you're not a SUMO wrestler in your spare time. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Boarding? :confused:

Like tilting the whole bike and spinning it around?
Yeah, I was a little confused too.

I figured he might be tying a rope to the side stand and hauling around someone on a surfboard:

Wakeboarding Behind A Car In Flooded Street In Russia - YouTube
Much too far forward and close to the wheel and chain. I'd use the luggage rack.

I'm 6'1" and I lift my right leg and swing it over the seat. Even with my helmet sitting on the luggage rack, I'm good.
I guess not everyone has as long of legs as others.

As far as the strength of the side stand... I often wondered about that too.
When I was bike shopping, I wanted to put both feet on the pegs. Every bike I tried, sales people invited me to put my feet up. The side stand would hold the bike and my weight no problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just don't park it where the ground is sloping to the right! I did. leaned over to look at the seat and the bike fell over, hitting the garage post, denting the top of the gas tank. $1300 for a new tank!

·
Registered
898 Posts
275 pounds WITHOUT any gear. With bike on side stand, I pretty much always put my left foot on the left peg and swing my leg over. Been doing it since I got the bike 20K miles ago. Works for me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to know

Happy to hear of no problems mounting the bike while it's on the side stand. As I age I am having more and more trouble with my right hip joint when swinging my leg over the bike. Thought I might be coming to the end of my riding. Happy to learn of a work around. Thanks all.:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts