StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I decided to pretend my Wee was a dirtbike and I got a bad rip in my sidewall. I was about to put another shinko 705 in my cart when I got to thinking about all the rain I'll be riding through this winter. I figure I'll burn through a rear tire over the winter so I might as well get one that grips really good in the wet. which do you think grips better in the rain. A pure street tire or a dual sport tour like a shinko or something similar.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
We might get spanked and sent to the big tire thread but the 705's are pretty damn good in the wet.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say street tires have better wet grip, although I'm too chicken$hit to find out. I know they have better dry grip. OTOH, I think the non pure street tires channel water better, thus less prone to hydro planing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When my Tourances croak, I'm putting on a set of Pilot Road 3s

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I am very happy with the last set of Battlewings that I put on the Wee. I have about 6000 miles on them and figure the back is good for another 1000 or 2000. After that I will be putting on another Battlewing rear. I think the Battlewing is a pretty decent value for me when comparing cost to performance.

On my VFR I was going to put on the Pilot Road 3 but then I choked when I saw the price. Based on my brother's recommendation, I decided to go with a set of Angel ST's and have been very happy with these as well but I only have about 1500 miles on them.

I have Shinko 705's on my DR650. I mainly ride that bike off road and the 705's are a pretty good tire except when I hit mud or when I am crossing a creek (have to pick my line well). I only have about 500 miles on them but for the type of riding I do with that bike I probably should have went with the Shinko 244's.

WOW.. I just realized that I probably should pick up a motorcycle tire changer for Christmas!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Absolute grip for a given speed is a function of rubber compound, weight and contact area.

Wet grip for a given speed largely depends on the tread design's ability to channel water away from the contact areas.

Dual sport tires like the BW use similar compounds to street rubber, and given their deeper and wider channels, can channel more water than a street tire.

The larger grooves mean less rubber to grip, but that rubber gets less water interference; it's a compromise.

So there you go. I'd say that DS tires will offer more traction in the wet and I guarantee that they'll hydroplane less.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
We might get spanked and sent to the big tire thread but the 705's are pretty damn good in the wet.
Dittos. I've been quite pleasantly surprised at how well the Shinko 705s work in the wet. And cold. And snow and ice. :yikes:

Battle Wings are my usual summer "street-ish" tire, and they work fine in warm rain, but IMnsHO they tend to get rather spooky when it gets below 45 degrees or so. I've also managed to hydroplane the Battle Wings, and I've never hydroplaned the Shinkos, even in deeper water.

Not being independently wealthy, I've never tried a PR3, but they're supposed to be the cat's ass on wet pavement, and they certainly look the part. No idea how they do in lower temps.

When it's warm, just about any modern tire will do the job fine in the wet up to hydroplaning (stupid) speeds, but when it starts getting really chilly, I've noticed some big differences in feel and traction.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dittos. I've been quite pleasantly surprised at how well the Shinko 705s work in the wet. And cold. And snow and ice. :yikes:

Not being independently wealthy, I've never tried a PR3, but they're supposed to be the cat's ass on wet pavement, and they certainly look the part. No idea how they do in lower temps.
I have not ridden PR3's yet. Although I have many 1,000's of miles on PR2's. Many in torrential downpours:yikes:

If the PR3's are as good as PR2's in the rain and have the same life expectancy they will be very good. BTW and in the interest of fairness, I have never ridden Pilot Roads on a "Strom. They have been on my prior Hondas (ST1100 and ST1300) and they are what I use on my current FJR1300. They in my opinion just great tires.

Banks C
2006 DL650
2005 FJR1300
2001 ST1100 (sold and still missed)
2005 ST1300 (sold and un-lamented)
2007 RIdley (Sold -- and the dumbest vehicle purchase I ever made)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great information.... Newbie here on this forum, but my experience with the PR & PR2's has been excellent!!! I ran both tires on my FJR and they are simply the best for a Sport Tourer, however for the Wee, I'm thinking more along the lines of the Tourance EXP, or the Anakee or maybe even the tried and true Scorpion! As far as wet grip, street or DS... I would say neither is better than the other.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the PR3's and IMHO, they were designed for use in the PNW. They are great in the wet and the cold. Very highly recommended.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have not ridden PR3's yet. Although I have many 1,000's of miles on PR2's. Many in torrential downpours:yikes:

If the PR3's are as good as PR2's in the rain and have the same life expectancy they will be very good. BTW and in the interest of fairness, I have never ridden Pilot Roads on a "Strom. They have been on my prior Hondas (ST1100 and ST1300) and they are what I use on my current FJR1300. They in my opinion just great tires.
Currently enjoying PR3's on my Connie - at about 5,000km so far and looking good. I previously used the 2's and loved them - got 12,000km outta them. So far I like the 3's but I think they feel a little vague on coarse chip (plenty of that over here to eat your tyres). Great in the wet.

On adventure vs street - I had my doubts on the wet weather performance of adv tyres when I bought my Vee but I've come around. I doubt that they are as good as street rubber in the wet but they are better than I expected. The Pirelli Scorpion on the front is very impressive in the wet and the Anakee 2 on the rear is fine in my opinion. I still probably do not push as hard as on the Vee as I can on the Connie in the wet...

·
Registered
22,333 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
my expereince with siped tires does not surprise me of the vagueness, but, imho, something you get used to the benefit of traction outweights any annoyance
Yes, I found the Pirelli Angels very similar except they felt great for about 2,000km and then went down hill fast - off the bike at 6,000km and never to be used again...

It really is only a "feeling", the tyres still grip well and the issue isn't there on smoother roads. Nowhere near as vague as the front end on my old man's 1150GS - only rode it a couple of times but wondered if it even had a front wheel...maybe it was his rubber choice too.

Now they just only have to outlast the 2's or 2's will be going back on...

·
Registered
24 Posts
PR3's

I have the PR3 on my FZ-6 and they run great in the rain, but strictly a street tire. Still undecided for my next set on the V-strom. The Tourances that came on it seem pretty good, but there could be something better when I need to replace them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
BTW and in the interest of fairness, I have never ridden Pilot Roads on a "Strom. They have been on my prior Hondas (ST1100 and ST1300) and they are what I use on my current FJR1300. They in my opinion just great tires.

I just burned through a set of Pilot Roads on a Wee. they are excellent. Good traction and life. The PR2's are better IMO on a heavier FJR they last the longest and that bike eats tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts