StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to see a used Wee Strom from an individual He deals with salvage bikes. The bike was a 2005 but it was black and I know that Suzuki didn't sell black Wees in 2005. I rode it and it ran beautifully, no shakes, very smooth and it was cheap - less than $4,000. He swore it had never been wrecked, but them why a black 2005? Then it got more interesting. The odometer said 3,2500 miles and the salvage title said over 15,000 miles. I was compelled to buy this inexpensive bike that was riding well, but the odometer piece was the straw that broke this buyer's back. It broke my heart, but there was too much weird going on in the transaction.

Any ideas. Was this bike stolen and they changed out parts? Was it wrecked and fixed? Is there any possibility that Suzuki had a black 650 made in 2005?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would probably stay away from it. Run a "Carfax" report on it and I don't think that Suzuki made a Black DL650 in 2005.

The person that has this bike "deals with salvage bikes", that should be your first clue. $4,000 for a salvage bike doesn't sound like a good deal to me:(

You get what you pay for..............

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
He swore it never had been wrecked then shows you a salvage title?
Agree......

Check your local laws. Some states require salvage title sellers to disclose full insurance reports for damage. Also, there might be paperwork with the state as to why there was a difference in the odometer. Some states require that if the vehicle is under a certain age..... Basically, Google and a call to the DMV.

R

·
0 Posts
I dont know about Ga law but in NC if a insurance company pays out a claim for a vechicle. From then on it carries a salvaged title. But would anyone really steal a V-Strom, I mean if I was going to steal a bike I would steal a pretty bike.:p:rolleyes:

RR

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This seems pretty easy to me. The bike was wrecked when it had 15K on it. The salvage title was assigned and the bike was fixed (hence the different color).

The new mileage is due to a different spedo being installed after the wreck.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Check the vin number "if it has one".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Was this bike in South Carolina? I found a listing on Craigslist for a black Wee in SC for something around $3,800. It supposedly had "low" miles and was in "excellent condition". I tried contacting the buyer via email and phone but got no response.

The more I thought about it, the more my Spidey Sense was tingling saying STAY AWAY! :D

I assumed this bike was wrecked or something but never got a chance to talk to the person. If the bike I saw was the same one you test drove I think I'm glad I never talked to the guy. Sounds sketchy at best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes it was

Was this bike in South Carolina? I found a listing on Craigslist for a black Wee in SC for something around $3,800. It supposedly had "low" miles and was in "excellent condition". I tried contacting the buyer via email and phone but got no response.

The more I thought about it, the more my Spidey Sense was tingling saying STAY AWAY! :D

I assumed this bike was wrecked or something but never got a chance to talk to the person. If the bike I saw was the same one you test drove I think I'm glad I never talked to the guy. Sounds sketchy at best.
That was the same one. He took it offline the day after I saw it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
It was the second time I've seen this bike on Craigslist. The first time I saw it the email address to contact the person was something that raised a red flag. It was something really immature. I can't remember exactly but it was "something . . . pimp . . . . something @aol.com"

Maybe I'm too cautious but I've got to question what type of individual uses that kind of address to try to attempt a business transaction! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoke with the dude...

I recently went to see a used Wee Strom from an individual He deals with salvage bikes. The bike was a 2005 but it was black and I know that Suzuki didn't sell black Wees in 2005. I rode it and it ran beautifully, no shakes, very smooth and it was cheap - less than $4,000. He swore it had never been wrecked, but them why a black 2005? Then it got more interesting. The odometer said 3,2500 miles and the salvage title said over 15,000 miles. I was compelled to buy this inexpensive bike that was riding well, but the odometer piece was the straw that broke this buyer's back. It broke my heart, but there was too much weird going on in the transaction.

Any ideas. Was this bike stolen and they changed out parts? Was it wrecked and fixed? Is there any possibility that Suzuki had a black 650 made in 2005?
This story sounds to familiar to one I found on Craigs list a few months ago an hour or less out of Charlotte, NC. He did respond to me but the same story and I got a really bad feeling in my stomach. He didn't answer all my questions either. This almost has to be the same guy; It's the same color, same identical story. He said he didn't know why it had a salvaged title though he thought it was a recovered stolen bike... gut was screaming! He said it was perfect. It's best to listen to your gut feeling because it's usually not wrong...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts