StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I make a left turn I get this weird scrubby feedback from the front tire - hard to describe but almost like the tread is peeling off or something. The front tire looks normal, I make these turns both directions but this only happens in left turns.
I've looked at the forks - everything I can think of. It's just a moderate turn into streets - nuttin fancy.
It does however lessen my confidence in pushing the bike hard.
Thought maybe y'all might have some ideas to check. I still have a short time on factory warranty so I could get this fixed if something is amiss.
2015 DL650A - factory tires with about 8K on it but still has decent tread depth. It may be road surface related but I would expect it to act the same either direction.

Thx!

·
Registered
551 Posts
First thing I check when I have any kind of "funny" feeling from the front is check tire pressure. Probably too simply a solution but at least start there.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I check when I have any kind of "funny" feeling from the front is check tire pressure. Probably too simply a solution but at least start there.
Yep - 32 PSI. I check it twice a week just because we have so much construction going on it's easy to pick up road hazards.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Is that front tire cupped? Maybe more so on the left side than the right side?

My front tires tend to wear uneven between the left and right to the point that there may be more of a wobble (detectable at low speed and with a Tourance tire) on the left than the right.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that front tire cupped? Maybe more so on the left side than the right side?

My front tires tend to wear uneven between the left and right to the point that there may be more of a wobble (detectable at low speed and with a Tourance tire) on the left than the right.
In fact there is slightly more wear on the left than the right but no cupping that I can detect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hada vague feeling in my 2015 from the day i got it was a bit concerned, the dealership weren't hearing me, anyway put on a strombrace and all gone its great especially as I dropped the forks 7mm as suggested by the strombrace manufacturer.

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
Is 33psi not the recommended (cold) pressure and are you sure your gauge is accurate? It sort of sounds like what you might expect from an under inflated tyre and road camber. I'd try 36psi, just to see what difference it makes.
And do you have a fork brace or any other mods to your front end, or rear tyre at all?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just for safety sake, can you put the bike up on the center stand, while using a sandbag or something on the tail rack, get he back wheel down and the front wheel up in the air. Wiggle it around / spin it by hand to see if a bearing is failing. Is everything at its proper torque spec? Just asking.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is 33psi not the recommended (cold) pressure and are you sure your gauge is accurate? It sort of sounds like what you might expect from an under inflated tyre and road camber. I'd try 36psi, just to see what difference it makes.
And do you have a fork brace or any other mods to your front end, or rear tyre at all?
I do have (Rick's) Adventure Tech fork brace. No other front or rear mods, not adjusted - stock height and all that.
I should have mentioned that this is always at residential area speeds - like 30 mph and less - and 90 degree turns. It's almost like the slowness and angle exacerbates the feeling. It is not something I worry about daily - just when it's wet or when I'm out riding for the thrills. I have not noticed any misbehaving at highway speeds or "normal" twisties with relatively benign curves. The ones I worry about are some we have by the lake with 15-20 mph hairpins and such - those I'm afraid to push through too hard. lol, i hate feeling like a wuss but I don't want to end up in the rocks or water either.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for safety sake, can you put the bike up on the center stand, while using a sandbag or something on the tail rack, get he back wheel down and the front wheel up in the air. Wiggle it around / spin it by hand to see if a bearing is failing. Is everything at its proper torque spec? Just asking.
Good idea - I've rolled it but not checked torques and such.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good idea - I've rolled it but not checked torques and such.
Just that you said that when it gets "loaded" on one side versus the other is when it feels different - "asymmetrical". Wheel axles with their different little spacers for each side don't torque right if not in their proper positions and the race gets loose in the hub and then trouble is on the way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I suspect a new tire would fix the problem. On all my bikes I notice a weird sound/vibration when turning at slower speeds as the tires wear. My tires generally show signs of feathering, apparently due to my spirited riding style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just that you said that when it gets "loaded" on one side versus the other is when it feels different - "asymmetrical". Wheel axles with their different little spacers for each side don't torque right if not in their proper positions and the race gets loose in the hub and then trouble is on the way.
Thanks - put my anvil on the back to counterweight it. No play I could tell, nothing loose. Smooth as butter.
Not sure what you mean by "loaded". In a nutshell all the side streets I have to turn left on have that strange scrubby feeling. Several different surfaces so I can't blame that. I just counted and I have 2 more left turns than right on my trip home. SO unlikely wear is all that uneven.

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
I have Rick's fork brace fitted and it has changed how the bike feels - even in low speed turns.
Rick has fitting instructions on the Adventuretech site and it's important to install it so that it does not impede the fork action.

I'm guessing that this unsettling feeling might be a by product of the fork brace and should be ignored. The other option is that it will disappear when you change the front tyre. If you want to be sure take the brace off for a trial. If the symptom goes away reinstall it according to Ricks instructions and adapt to the new feel.
If it does not go away reinstall the fork brace and wait for a tyre change.

·
Administrator
13,570 Posts
Some things you can cross off your list:

Is your front fender loose?
Can anything be caught between the fender and the tire?
Brake lines secure?

I seem to recall a similar noise when my chain guard lost its bolt. Any chance that's an issue?

..Tom

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have Rick's fork brace fitted and it has changed how the bike feels - even in low speed turns.
Rick has fitting instructions on the Adventuretech site and it's important to install it so that it does not impede the fork action.

I'm guessing that this unsettling feeling might be a by product of the fork brace and should be ignored. The other option is that it will disappear when you change the front tyre. If you want to be sure take the brace off for a trial. If the symptom goes away reinstall it according to Ricks instructions and adapt to the new feel.
If it does not go away reinstall the fork brace and wait for a tyre change.
Yes - it is fitted according to Rick's directions. I guess I could take it off to see if teh issue goes away.
Tom - none of the above. It's not a noise - it's a road feel at the handlebars.

·
Administrator
13,570 Posts
Tom - none of the above. It's not a noise - it's a road feel at the handlebars.
Ahh... misread your post.

I have always run way more air than that in my tires. Over 35 for sure and usually around 40. Perhaps try running some higher pressure and see if it has an effect.

..Tom

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks - put my anvil on the back to counterweight it. No play I could tell, nothing loose. Smooth as butter.
Not sure what you mean by "loaded".
At higher speeds, the centrifugal force may stabilize the wheel / tire and you won't notice anything or maybe it goes crazy at 40 mph, 60 mph, etc. Slower speeds may allow turning forces (in a turn, you are always steering opposite way to not "fall" over) to push / pull on the wheel / tire differently. Just noting that speed, straight vs turning, tire wear, road surfaces, etc are all factors that vary. That was all.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If the tire is wearing uneven and you have a lopsided feeling in the bike, check the alignment. Maybe it's just me but I check the alignment every time I adjust the chain. It doesn't take much to get odd slow speed handling. Also, 8K miles on a front tire doesn't sound like it's the tire but it's possible that much wear on the rear may be causing the issue with the front.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know how you see - but not really? Like your brain tunes out details?
It occurred to me to stop and examine the turns that provoke this issue.
Two of the three I was able to stop at have a web of fine tar snakes - itty bitty buggers, almost like someone drooled tar on the road.
The third has some sort of black paint/coating over old painted lines.
So I think the bike has good road feel - squirrely road surface is the culprit.
Reminds me of the story "The Princess and the Pea".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts