StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, just signed up. seeking help for a specific problem. having lurked here many times i have seen numerous issues solved so thought i'd give it a shot. back story: i have an 08 wee with 34,000 miles. i bought it 2 yrs ago with 3400 miles on it & it has been a delight until recently. earlier this year we bought a '17 versys 1000. the wee sat for about 2 weeks for obvious reasons. when i wheeled it out to ride it again i got a crank/no start. cranked strong, just would not fire. bear in mind this is my daily commuter so i was more than a little surprised. spark, yes. fuel, yes. wth? finally gave it a shot of starting fluid, it lit right off, ran for a few seconds & died. this is where it gets interesting. i hit the button again, it started, ran for a few seconds and seemed like it wanted to die again, enough that i hit the button while it was still running, although barely. engine made a clattering noise like you would expect the starter to do when engaging a running engine. i shut it off & restarted it, fired right up & idled normally. the issue is that the engine now vibrates in the 4-6000 rpm range ever so slightly where as before it was wonderfully smooth. does not seem to lack power, just vibrates. i'm thinking the balance shaft is now out of time but i'm having a hard time finding any info on this. i did take it to a shop as it had been scheduled for a valve adjustment, he said it didn't need one. so. any ideas????? any response would be much appreciated. Jeff

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know what it is, but I don't think its the balance shaft. As far as I know there's no 90 degree V twin with a balance shaft.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is it possible that the fuel in your tank started to go bad in the time it was sitting still? That could make it start & run rough.

·
Registered
665 Posts
1. Check air filter.

2. Check that all 4 plugs are properly torked and harnesses secured

3. Dump gas and fill with fresh

Try running it again. Confirm battery voltage is above 13.5V while running.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,656 Posts
If it were a 1000, vibration at 3K to 4K would indicate clutch basket issues.

Is the vibration present when the bike is sitting still land revving the engine or just while riding?

I know this sounds strange, but be sure to check the connection at the battery. Corrosion or loose connections can e decrease the ability of the bike to charge the battery and make power available for spark plugs.

At 34K miles you might be ready for new plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i replaced the plugs & air filter at 25,000 miles. the fuel was only 2 weeks old, remember this is my daily ride. the vibration is only between 3 & 5000, more pronounced at the higher side. battery is fairly new & it was cranking normally, just would not start. the stator on this bike failed at 20,000 miles, the new one is charging 13.8 or better. don't remember where i got the idea about the balance shaft. it was in the back of my mind just like a lot of other things & i can't figure out how they got there.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
" it was in the back of my mind just like a lot of other things & i can't figure out how they got there."

That only gets worse with age!:surprise: The mind becomes a repository of all sorts. Until you get really old then the important stuff disappears.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I guess the best thing to add is ; forgetaboutit Problem solved for now.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I would check your throttle bodies are still in place on the intakes.

When you use starter fluid the fluid will often fire at the wrong time and that is the clattering noise you heard, it's often called dieseling.

This can cause back pressure in the inlet manifold and blow the bodies off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
worth a try, i'm gonna have to take it apart no matter what. i would have thought though that the engine would hardly run at all if that was the case. i'll let you know. thanks, Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts