Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find the technical section referring to engine noises here on the forum. To get maximum exposure of the noise out in the public to assist I have post this also on VSRI .and the Vstrom Owners Club..under the heading

DL650 - strange engine noise

If it is troublesome for some members to first go to another forum I humbly apologise.
The noise clip could be heard at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QTpftyikisszY3ISdtEotJGFvbwPp-ps

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Crash bar vibration? Other than that tinny rattle it sound like my '04 and "05 Wee's.
I wear earplugs so the usual scary noises don't bother me. Seems that rattle could be felt in the seat and frame at certain RPM?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yes, it certainly is a harmonic vibration of something outside the engine.

Sounds tinny like some piece of sheet metal rattling on another surface. Hunt around the bike and tap anything you can think of to see if a similar sound is made.

Check all nuts and bolts you can see if they are tight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you have a skid plate and/or crash bars? If so remove them and the noise will probably go away. that will tell you where to work on eliminating the noise. any connection that can rattle will rattle.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Besides mechanical fasteners, check all the plastic snap-together fit points. I picked up a high pitched buzz at 58-6400 rpm after removing the cowling and instrument cluster to check headlight housing dimensions/clearances for led bulbs (it's fine for the type I want). Took the plastic apart and re-assembled and got rid of the buzz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts