StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2012 V-Strom 650 with less than 1000 miles on it. I just had the initial service done last week. I'm having a strange, and troublesome, electrical issue that manifests itself in a couple of different ways. No aftermarket electrical add-ons yet.

The most common issue occurs during starting. Every once in a while (maybe one time out of ten, but completely unpredictable) when I turn the key to the On position, the instrument panel lights up and turns on as it should, but when I hit the starter button, everything goes blank. No amount of switch flipping, or removing and re-inserting the key seems to bring it back.

At this point, I usually take off the seat, jiggle a few wires, and try again. Nine times out of ten this does the trick and the bike starts as normal. Loose connection somewhere?

The other problem I've observed—only once, thankfully—was when everything shut down during a ride. I was on the freeway, at night, and the instrument panel and lights flickered and went out. Everything came back on after a second or two and I was able to get home safely.

I've occasionally noticed the neutral light and ABS light flickering while I'm stopped at a light.

I know the best option is to take the bike to the dealer and let them run a full diagnostic, but I would feel better if I could accurately describe the problem or give them more information. Has anyone here ever experienced anything like this or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dalton

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Try tightening the battery cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That seems like it might do the trick! The nut on the negative terminal was not connected to the bolt underneath. Everything is nice and tight now, I really hope that was it! Thank you very much for your quick response.

·
38,048 Posts
The nut should be on the bottom and the bolt on the top.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
So new bike, first service and the battery is not connected properly? That would be a red flag to me. I would check the tightness of all the bolts on the bike that I could see, especially the calipers, axles and let the service department know that I was disappointed.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Interesting how many almost new vehicles past through my hands in last 30 years with similar problems and in 90% of ocasions it was loose connection on battery terminal.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Put some dielectric grease on the terminals too. Maybe take them apart and clean them up also.
I got a great deal on my Tiger about a year and a half ago. The seller didn't disclose that it would randomly shut down on start up and lose all the settings. The positive cable would have to be removed and reattached, so the computer would reset. He probably thought the ECU was going bad and decided to sell it.
Long story short, even with tight connections, it would occur. I cleaned and greased, the terminals, which didn't look bad, along with all the connections to the battery, and it hasn't ever occurred again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you don't know answer for that, such a basic question, consult your owner's manual.
And don't try to start debate with mechanic, I won't participate in it.
OK - i have looked in the owners manual and i don't see anything eluding to a first service at a stealership. Now, having worked in the motorsports industry for all my life, all i could deduce is a fellow lister dropping a bike off for an oil/filter bolt tightening and inspection sequence. End result was a battery post being loose and causing symptoms AFTER said service.
All i am stating is thatif this task was done at home, would this thread be occurring??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan to do regular oil and filter changes, chain lube & adjustments myself, but the first service called for a throttle valve sync inspection, which I can't do, and I figured it couldn't hurt to have the dealer do a once over on everything.

I actually had my first problem with the electrical system last week, before I took it to the dealer. I foolishly ignored it as a one-time issue and didn't mention it when I took the bike in.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My old Harley had electrical issues and one of them was a bad positive cable, not only it wasn't making connection to the battery, but it was loose inside the eyelet terminal. With my 2012 Glee I had to tighten the cables at the battery after a week since I brought her home. I had no symptoms but they were not as tight as I Would like them to be.

·
38,048 Posts
My Glee blacked out after pressing the starter button early in its life. Tightening the battery terminals didn't feel like they were loose but the bike has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OK - i have looked in the owners manual and i don't see anything eluding to a first service at a stealership. Now, having worked in the motorsports industry for all my life, all i could deduce is a fellow lister dropping a bike off for an oil/filter bolt tightening and inspection sequence. End result was a battery post being loose and causing symptoms AFTER said service.
All i am stating is thatif this task was done at home, would this thread be occurring??
You asked the member of this forum to explain what undeer 1k service was, which is questioning about existence or need for it. You've never mentioned doing the service at home or at the dealer. Where do you do your service, it's up to you and up to everyone on this forum. Not all the riders have mechanical knowledge or have garage to do it. And yes, not all of the members have patience to read absolutely useless, non construtive posts, especially about how dumb they are or how can they open a bear with their kick stand.
Over and out!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
As never ever going to a dealer for a service in my life - explain what a less than 1k service is??- or post an RO please.
regards
The 1000km or 600 mile first service is in the owners manual. Tighten chassis bolts and nuts is included on page 7-4 MAINTENANCE CHART.

What is an RO? :confused:

It sure looks like the dealer missed tightening the chassis bolts and nuts though.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts