StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently stranded in Pismo Beach, CA (no motorcycle shops here). My '08 DL650 won't turn over.

When I turn the key, the fuel injector makes it noise, the dashboard turns on as appropriate but when I turn the key it makes a low grunting noise with a couple of clicks, then nothing. Turning off the key is met with silence followed by a couple of more clicks after a couple of seconds.

I checked all the connections, they seem fine; my stator is "up", the switch on the left handlebar seems fine - not sure what else to check.

Yesterday I did a 250 ride, ran fine. My heated grips were hooked up but not turned on; is it possible the battery is just dead and I need a charge?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I tried boosting it from a car, it definitely had more kick but not enough to turn over. It tried and tried but couldn't do it - does this mean the battery is too dead to be boosted?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It very well could. If it was me, I would pull the battery and take it someplace to get checked. I would probably go to a local auto parts store. Then I would take the new battery they would sell me back to the bike and put it in and continue with my ride.

Not saying this is what is wrong with your bike, but it sure sounds suspicious. But then again, I have been wrong before and will be again.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I had similar noise and action and when i pulled apart the starter switch and cleaned the problem quit.
Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are still in a pinch give me a call if I can do something for you. I'm in Santa Maria, abt. 20 miles South of your location.

Have truck, tools, etc.

Eight o 5 for 7 ate - ate six 4 five

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the suggestions, it was the battery. The hotel manager drove me to Autozone to get a new one, and voila I put it in and it started up right away.

As I am still on the road and unsure if I have an electrical problem, or some asshat decided to turn on my heated grips last night and leave them on (ergo killing the batter), tonight I disconnected the battery and took it into the room with me. :mrgreen: Unless I do something really strange in my sleep, the battery should still be good in the morning.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is one reason why I made my heated grips switched instead of direct to battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts