StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many write-ups on storage tubes but I came up with a one for the end cap that I have not seen on the site yet.

While picking up the pieces to make a storage tube for my 650 I noticed something that set off my ‘inner MacGyver’.
Most tube write-ups I’ve seen on Stromtroopers utilize the square clean out plug as a cap and I have never really liked the way it looked
and I wanted the option to lock it if desired.

I noticed a 4" test plug which gave me an idea.

I had a locking handle from a ski rack and thought, “ Hey that might just fit” Nope it didn’t and I had to find a new bolt with the correct thread – metric.
Once I did that I ended up with an keyed locking end cap and once the storage tube is mounted it might even look like it belongs there.
Here's a shot of the end product and a link to the album with a few more pics.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/VStromDavid/ToolTube

Cheers,

David

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
That's a really great idea. I like it. I like it a lot. I've been considering building a tube soon and like you I really don't like the look of the clean out plug. Your idea is a great solution.

SS

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Pretty slick!

Looks like the lock on my SW Motech bag mounts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the positive responses, now all I have to do is get some racks and mount it :D.

Pretty slick!

Looks like the lock on my SW Motech bag mounts.
Gravehunter, I just had a look at the SW Motech locks and they do look very similar to the one I used off the ski rack except for that funky bolt.

Dave

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
looks like the one I have on my ram mount for my zumo
Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Double D...

That's friggin' brilliant! I've been scheming ideas for awhile, this is better.

Can you give some more info on exactly how the lock works?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Double D...

That's friggin' brilliant! I've been scheming ideas for awhile, this is better.

Can you give some more info on exactly how the lock works?
jra-xp,

Thanks :D As far as I can tell there is a cam inside and when the key is locked it is open and the knob just spins around the bolt. When you unlock it, the cam engages and grabs the threaded section allowing you to loosen or tighten it.

GREAT IDEA..............Now someone needs to find a source for those locking knobs.......Please let us know if you have a source. Thanks
Nope no source, just a ski rack.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
538 Posts
GREAT IDEA..............Now someone needs to find a source for those locking knobs.......Please let us know if you have a source. Thanks
I've got one that looks very much like that for a GPS mount. It's a stock RAM locking knob, part# RAM-KNOB3L. Threaded standard 1/4"-20. Seems to be quite weatherproof. It's a bit too big and bulky for the GPS mount; maybe I'll recycle it into a storage tube lock :)

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-KNOB3LU

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Those are the same locks that I got with my SWM Racks.

I just thought of something (scary), can I use that plug if I've already put the threaded clean out on or does it need to go into the pipe itself?

·
Registered
104 Posts
That looks like a locking knob from a Thule Ski rack. I think you can buy the locking knobs separately from the racks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are the same locks that I got with my SWM Racks.

I just thought of something (scary), can I use that plug if I've already put the threaded clean out on or does it need to go into the pipe itself?
Roger,

The plug fits inside the ABS tube :( You might be able recess it into the threaded section and loose a couple of inches in depth but I don't have one of those here to give it a shot.

On the other hand......(MacGyver hat on ) I don't know how some of the others are mounting the fake muffler cap on their tubes but you might be able to 'hide' it behind one of those with that method. Lockable and stealthy :D

Dave.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The plug fits inside the ABS tube :( You might be able recess it into the threaded section and loose a couple of inches in depth but I don't have one of those here to give it a shot.
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought, oh well, I'll add it to the to-do list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts