StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone have issues with those metallic sensors near the white stop here line? I am always getting dogged, I ran 2 red lights last night and really hate to do it. One of the ones I ran was on a road repair, so I cannot see the other end of the opposing traffic, blind turn. I have waited and waited for upto realisticly....3 minutes minimum. I ahve also help up morning rush traffic at the same light for 8 minutes one morning.
I suppose I could pull up some and let a car behind me trigger it, but few car drivers are aware of the issue, and wonder what the hell is guy pulling up there for. And just what do we do if there is no car behind us?
Its bullshit and bikes are continually getting push to the back of the line when it comes to saftey, car driver education, now the frigging state is pushing these.
Who should I contact besides the DOT to get this state wide issue resolved? My local state rep? AMA? Abate? Its really is B U L L s h i t!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Have the same problem, I found that stopping with the engine over the lines in the street and then bouncing a little seems to trigger the light to change or it just may be my imagination:???::mrgreen:

Jerry

·
Registered
597 Posts
next time it happens try putting your kickstand down. that seems to work really well for me. Or you could say screw it and turn right and then make a u-turn at your earliest convienence.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Every once in awhile I miss stopping right over the sensor, and have an issue. If there is light or no traffic I'll wait a minute, to make sure that I'm really not getting picked up, then run the light. If there is someone behind me and I find myself getting skipped I'll turn around and make a very obvious "You, come here" gesture with my forefinger. The driver usually catches on quickly.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Skeptical

These are basically just small magnets with adhesive on them that are supposed to stick to the bottom of your bike, but they tend to fall off. Even if you find a better way to secure them, I don't think they work well.

I experimented with a large 5lb. magnet and could not get it to activate the fixed time cycle at a difficult intersection. I could not seem to find any obvious location of the imbedded wires at this intersection using the magnet. Cars could seem to activate it instantly at this same intersection.

The one thing I have found that works is to drive rather slowly right over where those wires are located, usually right in the center of the road.

This is more easily done, of course, when you can see the imprint of the wires cut out near the intersection as I have sometimes found. The kickstand/lean technique might be helpful also, but whatever you do, you may have to search for the location of that wire(when the wire is being used as the signal of activation, of course).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check with your local DOT. We're allowed two light cycles, then we can run the red. Also, I'll second Randy-O's suggestion of calling the local DOT. A group of riders here got the sensitivity of over 20 lights changed in the last couple of years (including the one leaving my subdivision - YAY!)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I tried out a Signal Sorcerer tonight. It didn't help a bit.

·
Administrator
13,517 Posts
In my area (York region north of Toronto, Canada) I've emailed the local powers that be about the issue. I did that just a week or so ago and they seemed helpful enough and said they would adjust them.

I haven't yet had a chance to see if it has helped.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I have called my local traffic department about a few stubborn sensors. They were very responsive and had tested and corrected the issue within about one week of my first contact. If you act reasonable and dont cop an attitude you may get a positive response.
In my case it seems that some recent construction had shifted the sensor to the side a little. All the traffic department had to do was mark the 'hot spot' on the pavement and if you park directly over it you get the green. :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried a 'green light changer' I got from ebay. Tried it on two separate "stubborn " left turn lights i know.

without changer: never changes to green unless there's a car right behind me.
with changer: turns green first round - every try
took the the changer off again: light won't turn green.

I'm sure it won't work for every light and bike, but hokey as it sounds, it just works, at least for me. that's about the most empirical testing i could do and the results are 100%, reproduceble and reverseable. i'd give it a try (and no, I don't sell them on ebay :twisted:)

PS: i ran a cable tie around it to secure it permanently.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey all,

I have a question regarding traffic control sequencing. How do emergency vehicles change light patterns?

Can anyone explain it to me?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The answer is right in this very thread.

Click HERE

Than click on the links in Gooseyard's post.
Thanks XLonDL650.....................but maybe I didn't state my question clearly. What is the mechanism that changes traffic lights for emergency vehicles?

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 on contacting your local DOT office.

According to what I have found out, most if not all of these systems, are supposed to be set at a sensitivity level that will acknowledge the presence of a motorcycle. Over time, however, water from rain and snow get into the sensors and affect them.

At least in Wisconsin, the DOT appreciates knowing when one is working correctly, and is even willing to meet a motorcyclist at an intersection to make sure it is adjusted adequately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts