StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve recently had my moto gear stolen...including keys and spares.... long story short I’ve searched this forum and others but thought id ask before I go ahead and order a new lock/key set from eBay and drill out the old cores. Does anyone have tips for doing this or other suggestions before I start? I’ve called a few lock smiths and so far nobody can make me a key bit I’ll try a few more.

Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't know specifically for the DL650, but from reading the DL1000 manual it seems you can remove the whole ignition assembly without needing the key. You just need a special Torx security bit (JT40H, Suzuki part # 09930-11920). If you take this ignition assembly to a good locksmith they may not be able to reproduce the key, but they should be able to rekey the ignition for a new key. Likewise you will also need to rekey anything else that uses the same key(s).

But have you asked your nearest Suzuki dealer for new keys? Maybe they can access the Suzuki database and find the key coding based on your VIN number. You can then order keys based on that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
General Question for the Collective:

Is there a key code listed anywhere on the bike??? On my just sold ZRX, there was a stamped key code behind the helmet lock which could be removed without a key to display the code. This code could be used at the Kawasaki dealer to get new keys.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'm having a garage day, so I can verify that there is a 4 digit code on the back of the helmet lock (on my 2004 DL1000). It wouldn't be super easy to remove the helmet lock when it is closed, but it is possible. There is a single Philips screw that holts it on. To get a straight shot at it the lock needs to be open. That being said, with some patience you should be able to get the screw out with a smaller flat blade coming in at an angle. Or just bend/break it - my helmets are not able to use the lock, can't remember the last time I had a helmet with a D-ring

You can have 2 digits, you'll have to guess the others :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Out of sheer curiosity I decided to take off my helmet lock as well. And indeed there's a (different) number stamped in the same location.

Having said that (and keep in mind I'm not a locksmith), the stamped number is four positions only and in my case contains letters as well. While the key looks like a six-tumbler key. So if this number relates to the key at all, then it need to be interpreted or looked up in a code book. I would expect a locksmith to know.

https://www.key-men.com/Page3.html

Anyway, once you've got the helmet lock off it looks like you can remove the rear backing plate and bend one tab, and then the lock cylinder comes out. From there a locksmith should be able to disassemble it further, measure the length of the pins and reverse engineer the key coding.

*** Edited to add ***

I can now confirm it's a five-tumbler lock. To disassemble, remove the backing plate, remove the round thingy, and use a small screwdriver to depress (not bend) the copper-colored locking tab (pic 2&3, the tab on the right). The cylinder then slides right out. The tumblers are easily visible on the outside of the cylinder, so it should not be too hard to cut a key to match. Heck, with a blank key, a decent file, some measuring equipment and some patience I think I could do it by hand.

(And now let's see if I can put everything back together.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Once you get the key figured out get spares and hide a spare on the bike. I used to keep the spare key in the house safe until I realized this is great if I misplace my when I'm in the garage it does nothing if I'm a couple 1000 miles from home. As it turns out there are a lot of places where a key can be zip tied and be out of site and out of mind.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Hopefully your dealer is better than any of the ones in my town... They all told me they don't have any key info and couldn't look it up by VIN. In fact none of them can even cut keys. They pointed me toward the local locksmith.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
What's stopping the grub from coming back and getting the bike if you just replace the keys like for like ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know specifically for the DL650, but from reading the DL1000 manual it seems you can remove the whole ignition assembly without needing the key. You just need a special Torx security bit (JT40H, Suzuki part # 09930-11920). If you take this ignition assembly to a good locksmith they may not be able to reproduce the key, but they should be able to rekey the ignition for a new key. Likewise you will also need to rekey anything else that uses the same key(s).

But have you asked your nearest Suzuki dealer for new keys? Maybe they can access the Suzuki database and find the key coding based on your VIN number. You can then order keys based on that.
I’ll take a look see if I can find a number. The local dealers haven’t been too helpful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's stopping the grub from coming back and getting the bike if you just replace the keys like for like ??
Bike is stored in a completely different place. I’ve been out of country for a couple years, come to find out someone broke into my storage unit that houses all my riding gear which had all copies of my moto keys.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hopefully your dealer is better than any of the ones in my town... They all told me they don't have any key info and couldn't look it up by VIN. In fact none of them can even cut keys. They pointed me toward the local locksmith.
Most likely it'll be a two-step process. You get the key info from the dealer, based on your VIN (and they will probably need to contact Suzuki for it). But like you said, dealers typically can't cut keys themselves, so you take the key info to a decent locksmith, who can cut the keys for you.

But my gut feeling tells me that if you disassemble the helmet lock and take that to a decent locksmith, they can cut a key from that just as easily. Heck, if they're willing to sell you a few blanks, you can create them yourself with a good file and a bit of patience.

Other than that, I did see a few places on the internet who can cut you a key based on VIN. Might be worth checking that out as well.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
There are no helmet locks anymore on the 2012 and up. So order blanks off ebay and have them cut, then zip tie one under the fairing to the wiring. That way you always have a spare with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts