StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI: Not sure if this is specifically a 2017 issue.

Hey guys, I proactively changed out my wheel bearings today at the 15000 km mark prior to departing on a 5000km trip. The mechanic made sure to let me know that there was hardly anything left of the bearing in the rear even though they're scheduled for 20,000km; I believe the word he used was shredded? :p
The premature wear is most likely due to the extra dirt and grime and crap that gets into them when I'm off-road, but it might be worth switching them out a little early if you're planning on taking any sort of long distance trip, or do any sort of dirty riding. I decided to go with the All-balls bearings.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I'm curious....where did it specify that wheel bearings are scheduled for replacement at 20,000 km? Is it in the service manual or owner's manual? I don't recall ever reading anywhere that there was a scheduled replacement for those, and 20,000 km isn't a lot of mileage for a wheel bearing. My V-Strom had 18,000 miles (almost 30,000 km) when I sold it with the original wheel bearings, and my Super Tenere has 60,000 miles (96,000 km), still on the original bearings.

I don't dispute that harsh conditions could shorten bearing life; I was just wondering where a mileage based bearing change was recommended.

Good luck with the Alls Balls; they seem to be hit or miss for a lot of guys who've used them.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
My 650the front was still the original at 122 K miles. The rear carrier went at 50K. Replaced all and they were fine at 122K(72K later). Lot of dirt road, but never mud.
I also have never seen a wear chart for bearings.
22K on the 18 1000 and they are smooth as butter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts