StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the stock tool kit is getting pretty skimpy. Away from bike, remember seeing two wrenches, one of them 17mm by chance?

Have done search 馃憤. Not successful.

Ivan

Registered
That's all? So the DL1050 has actually gotten worse than the DL1000 in this respect? At least on my 2002 DL1000 it came with all the tools to loosen the rear axle nut, so you could use those spanners to adjust the chain slack. They were not quality but at least the appropriate ring spanner was there. (Shame it didn't have anything for the front axle though.)

And those Allen keys look to be too big to use on the fairing bolts. Which need to be removed for almost any other task.

The only thing I could see myself using is the screwdriver. If it's like the previous kits, it's a JIS and perfect for removing those pesky screws that-are-always-stuck-and-always-break for the hydraulic fluid covers.

Registered
except you need one to hold the adjuster while you use another to tighten the locknut....
I've actually never used the toolkit for this - so far I've always done it in my garage where I've got more and better tools available. But I thought the adjuster and the locknut were different sizes specifically for this purpose. So one spanner (the 10mm?) works on the adjuster while the other (the 12mm?) works on the locknut. Then again, I could be totally mistaken.

But even with just one spanner you could make it work, but it is a bit more convoluted and the result will be less precise. Loosen the locknut first, then loosen the axle. Use the adjusters to adjust the axle, then tighten the axle. You then use the spanner to give the adjuster a final ~1/8 turn out, against the now-locked axle. This tightens the adjuster enough so that you can do up the locknut without moving the adjuster.

Edited: Just checked. On my '02 the adjuster bolt needs a 10mm spanner while the locknut needs 12mm. Shame that in this 1050 toolkit these sizes are on the same tool.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spanner is that socket style 36mm or so wrench? Those should be included. They're on my old strom. I'm guessing they cut them to save the 50 cents and help drivers to go into dealer to adjust chain tension or be able to take off tire.

Disappointing to say the least.

Registered
This is what's in the OEM 2002 DL1000 toolkit. Although seeing the colours, it could well be that I added some or all of the Allen keys myself.

The 24mm ring spanner is for the rear axle nut, and there's both a 10mm and 12mm open-ended spanner for the adjuster and locknut, so everything is there for chain tensioning. The screwdriver is a JIS which works very well for the screws on the hydraulic fluid covers, and the spark plug tool is nice too: It has a knuckle in it for access behind the radiator, and a rubber insert to hold the spark plug in the tool.

I have no idea what I would use the 22mm ring spanner for though, and there's nothing in here that can be used to remove the front axle.
IMG_4976.png

Other than a front axle tool/adapter of some sort, the set is pretty complete. If I wanted to I could remove the rear rack and all the tupperware with this kit, then do emergency repairs and even quite a few regular service tasks (oil change, top up hydraulic fluid, adjust chain, change spark plugs, ...). I think I'm going to add my front axle tool and a paperclip (for the dealer mode) though.

Registered
I have no idea what I would use the 22mm ring spanner.
The two ring spanners are both for the rear axle. One side is 24mm, one side is 22mm. My 2015 DL650 is the same way. Just like how the lowering link rods have 14mm on one end and 17mm on the other. Theoretically so you dont need duplicate wrenches to loosen and tighten? One of each will do it. The sick irony is, both of those ends are on the same wrench in the kit so you cant back it with a second tool. Doh. My tools look pretty much like yours btw. Just checked.

Adventure tech sells hex nobs for front axle use. Changes a fat allen to something you can use a hex wrench on. I'm planning on getting one when I get serious about making an upgraded tool set for my bike.

Reactions: BackPacker

Registered
The two ring spanners are both for the rear axle. One side is 24mm, one side is 22mm. My 2015 DL650 is the same way.
Actually the '02 DL1000 is different. The axle sits in the adjustment block on the left, and doesn't need a spanner or anything. It's just the nut that you need to undo (right hand side, 24mm). But I see the DL650 has a different chain slack adjustment mechanism. It could well be that Suzuki wanted one toolkit that works for all bikes, hence the 22mm.

Adventure tech sells hex nobs for front axle use. Changes a fat allen to something you can use a hex wrench on. I'm planning on getting one when I get serious about making an upgraded tool set for my bike.
I know and it makes a great addition to the toolkit but it's a bit costly if you've got nothing else to order from them anymore, and need to pay for international P&P... I got one of those multi-adapters from AliExpress instead. (11.99US $ |Universal Aluminum Hex Axle Tool 4 in 1 Motorcycle Front wheel 17mm 19mm 22mm 24mm Allen Wrench Tool Adapter|tool tool|tool in 1tools 1/4 - AliExpress) Disadvantage is that it sticks out quite a bit so it's hard to put proper torque on it. And in the garage I have the appropriate hex socket that fits my 1/2" breaker bar. BGS 5184-H19 | bitinzet | 12,5 mm (1/2") | binnenzeskant 19 mm: Amazon.nl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts