StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the stock tires hold-up? should I consider an alternative when they wear out?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The stock tires seem to be wearing OK on my DL1000, but I think you can get improvements in both ride and handling with other brands. I have a set of Dunlop D607s waiting in my garage, and I think I'll put them on soon even though the stock tires have good tread left.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stock tires wear great but have a terrible reputation in the dirt and on the wet. I wouldn't recommend agressive street riding on them either.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure why the stock TrailWings get such a bad rep..at least the "F" series that came on my 2004 DL650. I have scraped up the peg feelers and used ALL the tread available on the rear and they never slipped, quivered or cried Uncle. The rubber seems very soft and sticky. Even softer than the BT020's. I have 4000 miles on mine now and they are just about gone. I might get another 1000 out of them if I am lucky but I have nothing to complain about in the grip (wet or dry) dept. I too have heard bad things about them but I just ain't seen it yet!

RJK

·
Registered
23 Posts
rjking said:
I am not sure why the stock TrailWings get such a bad rep..at least the "F" series that came on my 2004 DL650. I have scraped up the peg feelers and used ALL the tread available on the rear and they never slipped, quivered or cried Uncle. The rubber seems very soft and sticky. Even softer than the BT020's. I have 4000 miles on mine now and they are just about gone. I might get another 1000 out of them if I am lucky but I have nothing to complain about in the grip (wet or dry) dept. I too have heard bad things about them but I just ain't seen it yet!

RJK
If you're scraping pegs, you're pretty close to ending up asphalt surfing on these tires. One thing I've noticed on them was that they were pretty sticky up until about 3K miles, then like flippig a switch, they got pretty squirmy.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[
RJK[/quote]

If you're scraping pegs, you're pretty close to ending up asphalt surfing on these tires. One thing I've noticed on them was that they were pretty sticky up until about 3K miles, then like flippig a switch, they got pretty squirmy.[/quote]

Hm...well, I scrape the pegs all the time on my DL1000 w/ original tires...no problems. I will agree, however, that they aren't as confidence inspiring after they get about 5,000 miles on 'em. I'm thinking of going to Metzeler ME880s when the Bridgestones finally give up the ghost.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slick at last?

Thanks for the advice on the TW's getting slick with milage. I will put another 1000 on them real easy then try some Anakee's...

RJK

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very happy with wet weather performance of the d607.my biggest complaint with the stock tires was wet weather grip even at a slow pace.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DesertDave said:
I'm thinking of going to Metzeler ME880s when the Bridgestones finally give up the ghost.
I changed out my stock tyres early (with remaining tread) for Metzelers to improve roadhandling. I've never looked back. Metzelers are the stock tyre for BMW touring bikes for good reason.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have gone through 2 sets of stock tw's and I was generaly pleased with them but on my last set I swiched to the tourances and am not as pleased with them. When I got them installed I had SEVEAR head shake from about 20-65 weather under load or not in all gears and neutral, I have a Scotts damper and it still managed to get the bars moving back and forth a good 2 inches at 55. I had the dealer reballance the front one and unfortunately thought the problem has decreased ther is still a noticeable wiggle between 30 and 50. this wiggle hapens under throttle too so I have to think that the front tire is still out of ballance. Also I have had the back step out under throttle and light tail braking in turns ever since they were installed. I dont mean to bash the tires as I may just have a bas set. it seems that most people have nothing but praise for them so I have to think that mine are just not up to full spec. that said I am thinking of trying the anakees, dunlops, or the perellies in the future.

Mike

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a set of Pirelli Scorpions on my Ducati E900 and loved them. Can't complain about the TW's on my K3. Seem to be wearing well so far. We'll see how they are when the mileage is piled on a bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just came back from a trip and now have 12,500 km on the V-Strom and the rear is almost down to the wear indicators. I might get another 1,000 km. out of the rear tire. The front looks like it could handle several thousand more km. before needing replacement. I've spent the last hour or so reading everything I could find on tires for the V-Strom at this site and a couple of other sites. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on which is the best tire (and it depends on your kind of riding obviously), but I am now pretty sure I will try either the Metzeler Tourance or the Bridgestone BT020. Those seem to be the tires of choice for most folks, with the Metzeler the better tire for those who do some off-roading, and the Bridgestone quite poor offroad, but great on the street. I do very little off-road, but kind of like the idea of having the ability to do some, so that makes the Metzeler seem a better choice. Decisions, decisions.

Am I okay just replacing the rear for now with the Tourance or BT020 and leaving the Trailwing on the front until it has more wear?

Bob

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob said:
Am I okay just replacing the rear for now with the Tourance or BT020 and leaving the Trailwing on the front until it has more wear?
That's up to you. You could keep the front TW and see how the Strom handles with the mixed tire set. But you won't realize the full benefit of the Tourances or BT020s until you are running a matched set. I plan on switching to the Dunlop D607s shortly, and the front Trailwing is coming off regardless of how much tread it has.

Even once I am running a matched set of a brand that I'm happy with, I seldom run the front down to the wear bars. Depending on the type of roads where you live & ride, the front tire will either cup or chop as it wears. In other words, before you hit the wear bars, you will be dealing with an uneven tread pattern on the front tire, and that does affect handling & ride. So when I get to the point that the front tire doesn't feel right, it gets replaced.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Paul. I understand the Dunlop D607 is quite good off-road. Is it equally good on pavement?

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bob said:
Thanks Paul. I understand the Dunlop D607 is quite good off-road. Is it equally good on pavement?

Bob
I had a set of the Dunlops on my KLR650. They took me to some pretty compromising places off-road and I was quite surprised at how well they did in the wet and dry in the NC mountains. Good tires!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob said:

Bob
Can't tell you. I am hoping they are, because I avoid going off pavement (on purpose). I use the DL1000 as a sport touring machine. I am running the TWs for another 600 miles or so. The D607s are waiting in my garage... I've got just a bit too much tread remaining on the rear TW to justify replacing it yet.

I went with Dunlops because I've run them on several other bikes with good results. Ran them for about 60,000 miles on my last bike (Kawi Concours). They seem to have had sporadic quality issues - there is an occasional rider complaint seen on the internet, mostly related to a tire being slightly out of round. But all the Dunlops I've ever bought have been fine.

I run Pirelli radials on my Burgman 650. They ride better, handle better, wear longer - and cost half as much as the OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe radials. An absolute no-brainer. I love them. If I'd seen a Pirelli road tire in the correct sizes for the DL1000 I would have given them a try.

·
Registered
192 Posts
[/quote]

I run Pirelli radials on my Burgman 650. They ride better, handle better, wear longer - and cost half as much as the OEM Bridgestone Battleaxe radials. An absolute no-brainer. I love them. If I'd seen a Pirelli road tire in the correct sizes for the DL1000 I would have given them a try.[/quote]

You can get Pirelli Scorpion MT90 S/T tires to fit, radial and H-rated. I found some here, http://www.accwhse.com/, at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse.

Bob

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob said:
You can get Pirelli Scorpion MT90 S/T tires to fit, radial and H-rated. I found some here, http://www.accwhse.com/, at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse.

Bob
Thanks Bob,

I've already bought the Dunlops of course, so I'm going to give them a try. If for some reason I don't like them, I might try the Scorpions next time around!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got the scorpions mounted yesterday,we'll see how well they work.i really was pleased with the d607 but like to experiment a little.if they don't work out at least i know the dunlop will be my replacement tire from now on.got 13,000 out of the d607 but they were pretty worn out and due for replacement.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kawidan said:
got the scorpions mounted yesterday,we'll see how well they work.i really was pleased with the d607 but like to experiment a little.if they don't work out at least i know the dunlop will be my replacement tire from now on.got 13,000 out of the d607 but they were pretty worn out and due for replacement.
Interested in seeing your comparison. I also like to experiment, which is one reason I didn't just go for the Tourances.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts