StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2,000 mi on a 2011 650 wee and will be going on a 4,000 mi trip max. Bike will be loaded with about 300 lbs. total me and gear, will the stock tires hold up? I only get 4,000 miles max out of sport touring tires on faster bikes but these seem to be wearing well.:confused:

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
if you run 33-36 psi, you might be on threads, at 38-41 you should be ok :confused: its hard to really say, I don't know how you ride, but I have been on a trip with relatively new tires and found myself on threads 800 miles away form home on a sunday morning, had to wait till monday to order tires, late tuesday morning I was on road again

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have just crossed the 7K mile mark on my 2011 Wee with the stock tires. I run them at about 41psi, most of the time. I weigh 225#s and usually am not carrying any additional weight of any significance. I am looking to replace my tires during the next 1K miles or so.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My experience with the Trailwings was 6-8K miles on the rear, about 12-15K on the front. I tend to run a higher pressure in my tires -- 40/42 front, 43/44 rear.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have about 2,000 mi on a 2011 650 wee and will be going on a 4,000 mi trip max. Bike will be loaded with about 300 lbs. total me and gear, will the stock tires hold up? I only get 4,000 miles max out of sport touring tires on faster bikes but these seem to be wearing well.:confused:
If I was going 4k miles, I'd tire up with new sneakers before the trip and finish off the old ones at a later date.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I read an article not too long ago that compared 6 different tires used on a DL650 over time. I can't remember where, but I do remember it saying that the stock tires provided the longest wear... 10,000 miles front, and 12,000 miles back.

The pressure in the tires was set for one-up, no extra weight, 90 percent highway.

This is not the article I mentioned above, but it's a good comparison of the types of tires you can use on the V-Strom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ZBikC_9Us

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Some parts of the country use more abrasive aggregate in the road pavement. If you get into this, tire wear accelerates. Ride and enjoy your ride. If your tires are about to show the air inside, buy new tires.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Don't be a cheap lazyguy.

The stock tire's performance capabilities don't magically improve at the end of life which will happen about 2/3rds into your last leg home - in the wet, naturally.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I read an article not too long ago that compared 6 different tires used on a DL650 over time. I can't remember where, but I do remember it saying that the stock tires provided the longest wear... 10,000 miles front, and 12,000 miles back.
It was likely reported in the The Improbable Motorcycling Journal of Unrealistic Expectations.

Reversing the numbers and multiplying by 0.8 is closer to reality.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Everybody loves expert opinions. Thanks! LOL!
I'm no expert.

Only went through one set.

But I do recall many others reported about the same life.

I also remember hitting some gravel roads with about 5,000 miles on them and disliking them immensely for that use by then.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I had a nearly new DL650 with nearly new (2,000 mile) tires, there is no way I'd change them out to take a 4,000 mile trip. I'd wear them down and change them when I got back, if they were worn out. Chances are, even after that you could put another thousand miles on them.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies; Me thinks i'm gonna go for it. and yes I've worn out tires on a trip before but now I have a tire changer and can change tires at will, so I only asked because I have no experience with these tires or bike. It looks like I'll keep the pressures up and take it E-Z somewhat or just get a new one put on if really needed. thanks again I'll be leaving for the Florida Keys in about a week :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have fun! Remember to change the oil and filter with synthetic oil before you go, and check the chain slack every so often.

·
Registered
186 Posts
19, 000 km +

I am about to do the 19 000 km service and will do the first change of tyres. I am getting Tourances this time.

What does it means? How people can get just 6 000 KM? I like to think I ride hard but maybe not. I got the bike brand new on december 2009. Ride it every day to work always solo I weight maybe 80 kg + gear + top box + tank bag.

·
Registered
111 Posts
oem

I ran my oem trailwings to about 16,000 miles or so. The back one was bald and the front scalloped (i believe from low pressure). I have tourances and run 40lbs now. We shall see....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts