StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using just the stock seat? I just purchased a new 2011 and haven't even ridden it yet so I dont know how it will feel for me. I drove a buddy's of mine but he had a corbin.:confused:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
anyone using just the stock seat? I just purchased a new 2011 and haven't even ridden it yet so I dont know how it will feel for me. I drove a buddy's of mine but he had a corbin.:confused:
Give it some time.

You could listen to asses on this forum like me or you could listen to your own ass, then decide.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Unless you are just short and its your only option, most people don't care for the 650 seat. Its pretty cut out and leaves you sitting on that big slope if you try to scoot back.

I'm 6'4", so the 650 seat is horrible for me and extra height is very welcomed. The 1000 seat is acceptable for short rides for me, but I've had a Russell since my first Vstrom and now I'm spoiled. I did pick up a Rick Mayer seat (used) this past year and I like that one too. The Russell still beats it out long distance by far, but the Rick Mayer is more enjoyable around town without the side wings. I loaned my Russel to a friend for a 2 week trip while I had his Sargent and I pulled it off after 2 days and went back to my Rick Mayer. I also wasn't a fan of the Gel Seat. Got one with my 1000 and sold it with it. Would get hot as heck in the sun in the summer and was hard as a rock in the winter time.

So ether than the Corbin, I've about ridden on most of the popular seats.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I swapped out for Vee seat and a bead rider because I wanted the extra support/height. Works very well and the Walmart beads are cheap to replace. I've had my first set on now for eight months and I love 'em. Kinda cool in winter but works for me. I also added raising links from Soupy's to lift my Wee up as high as I can while still being able to spin the rear tire while on the center stand and I really enjoy the extra height. :beatnik:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: stock wee seat

I have the 09 wee and had the stock seat for nearly 2 years. Really hurt the sitz bones for me (arthritis). Supplemented it with a gel pad for over a year. Much better but the shape of the stock seat still caused me problems. Too narrow for me and created pressure points.
Replaced it with a Sargeant World Tour(?) about a month back. Much wider, no pressure points. Longest ride with new seat has been about 2 hours - no more pain! Now about the buffeting . . .
However, as suggested previously, give it time and experience. If it works for you then you save money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been riding my new 2011 wee for about a month (1.3k miles) on stock seat but shaved due to my short height. So far, it's been pretty good to my butt. I used to ride vstar 650 with stock seat for over 2 years (15k miles) which gave me some discomfort on my ass after riding over 100 miles at a time and I can surely say wee stock is way better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've put just over 1K on my 2011 and other than the first few rides to get used to it, I think I'm fine with keeping it. My longest rides have been about 200 miles but I'm not sore during or after. I know there a much better seats out there, but considering the cost I think I'll stick with stock for now.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Give it some time.

You could listen to asses on this forum like me or you could listen to your own ass, then decide.
That's the best advice and could save you some money.

In my case the Wee seat just didn't work out for longer trips and I purchased Vee seat from an inmate and it is much better. Where I had to take a break after an hour or so, now I go until Wee needs a break for gas and then just gas and go.

YMMV

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sure there are better ones but I think it's pretty good!! Did about 150 miles and no real big issues. I need a break after that much anyway!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I rode a friends 650 about an hour on the stock seat when he first bought it, and my arse was killing me. Luckily his bike came with a 1k seat as well, so we switched them out and i was good for the 2 hours riding home after.

The 650 seat is probably ok for anyone that is very light weight. Like 150 lbs maybe. Made for Japanese butts i think. The 1k seat has more padding, and it's good (for me) about 4 hours before it hurts the arse too.

I can ride all day on my Corbin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seat pain

I have a 2011 also and tried to do with the stock seat. That seat just doesn't cut it. I have only had it since September and I only have about 2500 miles on it. What a pain. I recently picked up a Tall touing seat from a gentleman from his 1000 he sold. It offers much more leg room and the shape is much better. It is not nearly as scooped out and allows you to scoot around a bit and offers a wider seat also. I am 6'1" and I went from flat footing it with slightly bent knees to up on the balls of my feet. I only have about 250 mile on it but I think for the $85 I have in it you can't beat it. I am looking forward for the weather to warm up so I can pile up some miles.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I posted this last year and wanted to add an update. My Alaskan Sheepskin with the added foam (total cost about $75) works even better than I originally thought. If you need a cheap, quick fix give it a try. Be sure to buy enought foam to try different cuts. Mine is about one inch in from the edge of the sheepskin all around with a U shape cut in the front for the boys. I spray painted the foam black so it doesn't show under the sheepskin.

I just returned from a ten day, two lanes only road trip from Florida to northeast Pennsylvania. I too have a homemade seat upgrade that works well for me. It is an Alaska sheepskin with some medium density, one and a half inch foam glued to the bottom. You may have to trial and error with the size of the foam a little. Just covering the whole bottom of the sheep pad won’t work. This cheap seat upgrade works fine for me on rides lasting seven or eight hours, with breaks every two hours or so. On secondary roads, this ends up being about 300 to 350 miles a day. I did do one 540 mile day which was too much for me and the seat. Back in Florida after 2500 miles. Bike ran perfect. Madstad, Rick’s fork brace, led flashing brake lights, grip puppies all helped. Ran into some rain and discovered that my Eddie Bauer “windbreaker” was actually water proof, light and multi purpose. It helps keep me warm in the mountains and looks good enough for everyday use. Pockets velcro shut so the cell phone and glasses are safe and secure and it packs very small. I keep it and an old pair of Dry Rider pants with me all the time. Also “discovered” two great campgrounds. Any one of the many state campgrounds on Strom Thurman lake on the border of Georgia and South Carolina, and another lakeside park in Clarksville Va., Occoneechee State Park.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Give it some time.

This.

I'm 6'0", 175 lbs, and the stock Wee seat is fine for me. Sure, I feel it after 300 miles or so, but not to the point that I can't ride longer than that. Ride it, then decide for yourself.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are apparently as many different shaped asses as there are stars in the sky! When I bought my Wee used, it came with an aftermarket Sargent seat that the PO swore by, and I rode it that way for a few months. Then, I switched out the Sargent with the stock seat (that I bought from the PO when I got the bike) and actually liked it better.

Disclaimer! I haven't done an IBA ride with the stock seat, but have put back-to-back-to-back 300-400 mile days in the saddle with few complaints.

I'm 5'11" at about 200#, and the Wee in it's stock configuration is as comfy for me as my '07 FJR.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The stock wee seat is fine for commuting and short rides.
On longer rides, the wee gives me two problems:
- After 6 hours, I can't handle the wind noise anymore (I wear earplugs)
- Halfway through the second day, my behind starts to hurt, but that gets better by the end of day three.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't find the stock seat to be a problem until a 900+km day on the slab last year.

Looking at aftermarket seats, and some custom seats some peeps have posted, the stock Strom seats seem to curve up to the passenger area early and gradually, while the aftermarket stuff is flatter and steps up more abruptly. So I had a local seat guy cut the foam flatter all the way back to the passenger step. This actually cut through to the seat base right at the step up, but I don't sit there anyway. Didn't bother changing the seat cover, but I might if I like the mod.

I suppose it helps that I weigh in at a svelte 165 lb.

Glenn

·
Registered
242 Posts
coming off a Bonneville and a Monster, I think the stock seat is dreamy.....

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a corbin the prior owner put on the wee, and having ridden another wee with a stock seat, I'm REALLY glad about it. I haven't had any days longer than 8 hours, but I felt perfectly fresh at the end of that amount of time. YMMV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts