StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headbang:I have a question for all of you wee owners with aftermarket seats. I am 6’2 with a 32+ inseam. I really don’t know the exact measurement. The stock seat just isn’t cutting it for me. I have a 40 mile commute to work, one way. I only get half the way there, before my hind end is killing me. The problem for me seems to be that the separation between the driver and passenger section of the seat feels like it is way too far forward. It pushes on the back part of my rear end, which makes the back of the old dairy-air numb in no time at all. I was hoping you guys could push me in the direction of a good aftermarket seat. From what I have read on this forum, the touring seat sounds like the way to go. I was wondering do the Corbin and Sergeant seats accomplish this same thing? I really don’t want the seat to be any lower than it already is. I appreciate any help you guys can give me on this. Thanks!!!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I had a similar problem and did some surgical augmentation to my stocker. I used 1.5" closed cell foam and did a bit of experimentation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Russell

I got a Russell for just a little more than what a Corbin cost and love it. Could not ride more than a couple of hours on the stock one, all day now.:thumbup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, and I've been exceptionally pleased with my Suzuki gel seat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I tried the Tall Touring Seat and didn't think it was that much better. I sent my seat to Sargent for some custom seat work. My problem is similar to yours. I kept wanting to sit where it started sloping up to the passenger seat. After talking to Bill at Sargent, we decided the best plan of attack would be to make a level seating area, increase the height (I'm 6'6"), and do away with the rise (passenger hump). This will make it more of a "bench" type seat. I like to move forward and back while riding especially on the trails and FS roads. They have my seat right now, and I should be getting it back next week. I'll post some pics when it comes back. Another thing, it cost about $200 less than the Sargent World Sport Seat. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the good information! dsm_rally Sun Prarie Wi, its a small world isn't it. I am originally from Watertown, Wi born and raised. I live in vegas now, because of the military. Cant beat the weather it's 60 here today. Just thought I would rub it in...lol Im looking forward to hearing more from you guys. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Russel seat. But still can't ride all day. Light years better than the stock seat though.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
When I had my seat modified by a local upholsterer, he cut out the plastic rise and reshaped the seat to give me more room. Helped a little. In my case, it didn't change my normal seating position (I'd probably need some up-and-backs on my handlebars to make full use of the extra room) but it did give me extra space to slide into for a change.

If a Russell is out of the question, you might consider a similar mod.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for all of the good information! dsm_rally Sun Prarie Wi, its a small world isn't it. I am originally from Watertown, Wi born and raised. I live in vegas now, because of the military. Cant beat the weather it's 60 here today. Just thought I would rub it in...lol Im looking forward to hearing more from you guys. Thanks!!!
Yah, yah...rub it in. :mrgreen:

OEM Gel seat for $170ish is world's better for me.
I git my gel seat used for like $120, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Seat has been an issue. Got a Corbin, seems fine for a while, but when I get back on it's not as compfy anymore. My rear hurts. I'm going to ship my OEM seat to a guy in Florida and hopefully he can fix my sore rear problem. The Corbin will have to go once that's done.
OH _ The sheep skin from http://www.alaskaleather.com/buttpads.html did help me quite well. I most likely will gat a thicker pad once my seat has been fixed.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I just got my Rich's custom seat made for me today. So far it is great, and I'll post more reports when I get more miles ridden. Even before any break in the seat feels great and my previous pressure points are gone. He showed me innards from a (Rick?) Mayer and a Sargent seat, and they weren't impressive--yes, better than stock, but not that great considering the price.

Rich prefers making custom seats in his shop in the Seattle area, but can also do mail-in seats and modifications to the other brands of aftermarket seats. His shop can make 50 seats a week, is presently up to 25 a week, and expects to soon be booked through September.

Not my bike:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use a $20 Walmart ATV cushion:

Works great! Little bit more air flow, don't get any irritation, and it gives me another 1"

Also, I'm a cheap-ass

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Spencers

I decided to go the Spencers route, I'll mail the seat to him next month and should have it back home with in a week I guess. Spencer quoted me about $75.00 , postage is my responcibility bothways. I have a good feeling about this, and with the Alaska Sheepskin I should be pain free.
Oh - and he'll lower the seat for me by 1/2 inch as well. I'll be one happy Hobbit. :thumbup:
In the meantime I'll just have to used the Corbin.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seat Options

Last summer my wife and I purchased the beaded seat cover from Bead Rider just prior to setting out on a 12,300 km trip on our Wees (Toronto to Northern California and back). These were simply amazing and certainly worth $35 as compared to the several hundred for an aftermarket seat. We had tried sheepskins and gel pads (even had the gel pads with us but never used them) but there is simply no comparison. I was very close to buying a Corbin or Sargent but I saved myself a few hundred dollars.

Bill, Burlington Ontario

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just had my seat reworked by Sargent. Flat bench seat, raised, slightly wider, super cell foam. Very economical compared to the price of a corbin or the sargent off the shelf seat.

More pics can be found on this thread:

seat pics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts