StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 DL650 in March 2011 with 24k miles, but in pristine shape. I believe it has the stock horn on it, but just recently it seems to be dying out. I've checked the connector cables and all looks well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to revive the horn? If I have to purchase a new one, any suggestions on which one I should get?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The humiliating stock horn should die....it suxx Nikki!

The wires that attach to the horn may be compromised. They're very thin, and have minimal insulation, which makes them a bit fragile - especially when bouncing around under the tank/radiator area. I'd suspect some wire damage.

Many have switched to aftermarket horns that entirely abandon the stock Suzuki horn wiring portion. These aftermarket horns typically wire directly to the battery terminals via a fused relay - and they much sturdier than the stock wiring [Stebel air horn w/ Pat Walsh Designs wiring / mount kit].....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion on the Stebel. I looked it up on YouTube and that thing is does roar. Yeah the stock horn is pathetic and embarrassing, but most of all unsafe.

Anyone else have other horns to suggest? Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Freeway Blaster pair, hi tone & lo tone, also do a good job and aren't as water sensitive as the Stebel air horn (got mine at the local NAPA auto parts store). All probably need a relay and upgraded wiring. Any auto parts store can supply a replacement similar to the stock horn with a similar whimpy blat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought my 2008 DL650 in March 2011 with 24k miles, but in pristine shape. I believe it has the stock horn on it, but just recently it seems to be dying out. I've checked the connector cables and all looks well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to revive the horn? If I have to purchase a new one, any suggestions on which one I should get?
+1 to the Stebel.. For me, it was a tad tricky trying to find a mounting location, but I ended up going with the left side fairing bracket. I also got the Twisted Throttle wiring harness to put it all together.. Nice and neat (and loud!). :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
The humiliating stock horn should die....it suxx Nikki!

The wires that attach to the horn may be compromised. They're very thin, and have minimal insulation, which makes them a bit fragile - especially when bouncing around under the tank/radiator area. I'd suspect some wire damage.

Many have switched to aftermarket horns that entirely abandon the stock Suzuki horn wiring portion. These aftermarket horns typically wire directly to the battery terminals via a fused relay - and they much sturdier than the stock wiring [Stebel air horn w/ Pat Walsh Designs wiring / mount kit].....
+1 to both the Stebel and the Pat Walsh horn + kit. This was my first 'opportunity' to futz with the bike wiring, and though feeding the wire forward was a pain, the kit was fawesome! (Translation available on request... it's a technical term. ;) )

I've had occasion to use the horn as a 'hey, there's someone here!' last week, and it served the purpose effectively.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up installing a Stebel Nautilus air horn this summer. Wow, that thing is amazing, and gets people's attention who might be cutting you off, etc., so is actually pretty safe. Highly recommended. Thanks for the suggestions.

Turns out the stock horn was packed with mud, so wasnt working properly. Can't wait for some summer riding in WA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts