StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, not looking to start another tyre thread but, I just have a simple question.

Are the stock Bridgestone tyres bad? I have 23,000 kilometres on mine (yes they are now done) and have had no issues with them. They are quiet, handle great on twisties and obviously great tread life.

Just seeing if I am the only one with this opinion.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
They are fine tires, some just believe that tires installed from the factory must be inferior or something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are happy then nothing is wrong.

While certainly not the best tires on the market for any one purpose, they certainly work well enough for me to want to use them up before spending $$ on a new set.

·
Registered
536 Posts
They are fine tires, some just believe that tires installed from the factory must be inferior or something.
What BigB said.

They're priced pretty well too should you decide to purchase them again when your scooter needs new shoes.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Hey Everyone, not looking to start another tyre thread but, I just have a simple question.

Are the stock Bridgestone tyres bad? I have 23,000 kilometres on mine (yes they are now done) and have had no issues with them. They are quiet, handle great on twisties and obviously great tread life.

Just seeing if I am the only one with this opinion.

Thanks,
The Battlewing however is the better choice over the Trail wing, it is just a great all around handling and wearing tire for the V-Strom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will be re-ordering the TW.

·
Registered
115 Posts
a lot of people for what ever reason don't like them. I personally think they are pretty good. Like you said great traction, wear well , quiet, inexpensive. Whats not to like. Ok maybe not the best off road , but who here rides their strom off road more than on. nobody

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice riding tire. However I only got 4500 miles out of mine on a new 2013. Some folks have 10,000 on theirs. I'm curious if they differ in wear from batch to batch. I don't think I rode them any differently than most folks would. Just wondering.

Craig.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have no problem with the TW, have been through half a dozen sets of them since 2005, along with Tourances, Anakees, Battle3wings, and a few others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
7.2K miles b4 replacing

I got about 7200 miles out of mine - at my inspection/7K service I was told they needed replaced. They were worn down but not bald at that point - I replaced with a like set - seem like a good tire for my needs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nice riding tire. However I only got 4500 miles out of mine on a new 2013. Some folks have 10,000 on theirs. I'm curious if they differ in wear from batch to batch. I don't think I rode them any differently than most folks would. Just wondering.

Craig.
That does seem odd. Very low mileage for the tires. Horsepower eats tires and since our bikes aren't exactly HP demons I would think that closer to the 10K mark is more indicative than 4500 in terms of expected life span. I do know from having these on my 2009 and now my 2013 that higher air pressure than recommended seems to result in longer life.

I run mine at 41 in the back and 39 in the front. No cupping and great traction, even in TORRENTIAL Winter rain storms.

YMMV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That does seem odd. Very low mileage for the tires. Horsepower eats tires and since our bikes aren't exactly HP demons I would think that closer to the 10K mark is more indicative than 4500 in terms of expected life span. I do know from having these on my 2009 and now my 2013 that higher air pressure than recommended seems to result in longer life.

I run mine at 41 in the back and 39 in the front. No cupping and great traction, even in TORRENTIAL Winter rain storms.

YMMV.
I thought about increasing the tire pressure as well until I learned that it was not a safe thing to do. The tire has to have a certain amount of contact patch on the road to be stable specially in wet weather or sandy terrain. When the tire manufacturer recommends an upper limit of tire pressure, that is for taking on a passenger or touring with a heavy load. By increasing tire pressure to the maximum limit or beyond without a load could present a dangerous situation.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There are benefits to lowering pressure when going off road as the surface you are on can move and give under contact patch force. But increasing the pressure over Suzuki's recommendation but not over the sidewall pressure is not dangerous when staying on the road. It will make tires last longer at the expense of a harsher ride. A smaller contact patch size is offset by the greater force of the same weight in the smaller area and pavement can handle that force.

What happens to the contact patch under various conditions can be seen at Motorcycle Safety Site

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've resigned myself to never getting more than 6K max, if I'm lucky, out of a rear tire. I just consider it the cost of fun. Same with the Mpg. I'll never average over 45 and 45 average will be rare. When the economy collapses and the dollar gets devalued, shrinking my now fixed income, maybe I'll be able to do better. Hopefully I won't have to find out. That said, I thought the TWs were fine but I went with the Shinko E-705s and I like them fine too. I think I like them a little better but time will tell. I have almost 3K on the Shinko rear and it's doing at least as well as the TW did.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Trailwing on the front has been my tire of choice, I have consistantly gotten 25 to 30,000K + from my front TW's.

I do not use them on the back...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had zero complaints about the stock tires on my bike.
They last for just over 10K miles. And handled everything I needed the to do.

An interesting side note. The stock tires were the first set of tires I have ever seen that wore out at the same time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I got 9k miles on the stock TW rear. The front could have gone to at least 12k before I replaced both with Tourance. I found they were decent on the road, off road is another story.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts