StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I either have bad luck, or the stock battewings are an extremely soft tire. BW501/502

What has peoples experience been with puncture resistance of this tire. I realize that any tire can be punctured, but it seems the construction of this tire, in my experience, lends itself to easily pick up a nice stab wound, whether it be the grip or the tread of the tire.

I have about 3000 miles on my V. At about 2000, i found a paperclip, yes a paperclip, all the way through the tire. This past weekend i started thinking about pre spring maintenance. I found and unidentifiable nail type object thats been sitting there all winter. Luckily, this one went in sideways and not through. Both of these have been in the rear tire.

So, is it me, or the tire? I actually enjoy this tire with my mostly on road riding, plenty of grip, seems smooth. How does it perform on gravel roads? I never realyl thought about keeping plugs and a pump on my bike, but this has me rethinking. I've had one flat in 20+ years of riding before the V.

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
I have been running Battlewings (BW501/502) since wearing out the old stock Trailwings. I think the Trailwings were referred to as Deathwings, though I never had an issue.

I have been getting 14,800 to 17,200 miles on the front and 9,300 to 11,800 miles on the rear Battlewings. I do end up changing a little early (about 2mm left) due to upcoming long distant trips.

No punctures with the Battlewings or really any other issues. I like them, but will be trying the new Michelin Anakee Adventures when the snow melts and the weather warms up a bit. I hope to be doing a little more gravel and dirt in the fall.

YMMV

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know about the battlewings, but the trailwings were terrible. If you are primarily riding slab, go with a really good street tire.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Battlewings are the best tires i've owned on the V as all around tires.
The only reason i don't have them currently is for "because race bike" purposes.
They outlasted all other tires i've tried, never had a puncture though.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The BW's seem fine to me coming from new Shinko's and new Tourance XP's in the past.

A paperclip pierced a tire? Wow. I'm never riding through my office again.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I clocked 10,000 miles with the factory BW 501/502 on my Vee2. No troubles, no complaints.

Replaced them with Continental TKC70's and longed for my old Battlewings.

The front TKC70 was worn out in less than 5,000 miles. Put a Shinko 705 on to finish out the rear. I won't go back to the Conti's.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Erock, I just replaced the tires on my '14 DL1K, and I went with the oem Bridgestone BattleWings--I like the ride and handling, havnt gotten a flat on the 1st pair, 7500 miles at the change.
I dont know if youre aware, but there are different BattleWings for specific motorcycles. Different letter suffixes depending on brand and model. It took some searching through parts catalogs to find this.
The factory service manual lists tires as: BW 501 J Front
BW 502 J Rear

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The BW's seem fine to me coming from new Shinko's and new Tourance XP's in the past.

A paperclip pierced a tire? Wow. I'm never riding through my office again.
I liked, but damnit, there needs to be a "lol" tag.

:grin2:

·
Registered
562 Posts
BW 502 J Rear

If I understand or was advised correctly, the 1000 should be J-Spec and the 650 was OK with G-Spec. Don't quote on that and I'm happy to be corrected by someone in the know.

We have the original Bridgestones on two 650's, no puncture issues with excess of 12,000 km on each bike.

·
Vendor
5,244 Posts
Trailwing deserved it's nickname of "Deathwing." Rear locked up way to easily (before ABS).

IMO the Battlewing is a great tire for the Vee2. Surprisingly good on forest roads and very good to excellent on the highway. I got about the same use out of mine as Stalky Tracker. Actually just a bit a more, but I should have changed it at ~11.8K miles. I really like those tires and will use them again when my current pair wears out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as i said, i love the tire except for the fact ive had two piercings now. I'll chalk it up to bad luck i guess.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
One more thumbs up for the OEM Battlewings. Really good pavement tire, good as any tire with similar tread on gravel. Don't remember having any punctures. I do know the carcass is heavier than comparable street only tires, which will help in punctures. Especially sharp gravel. I suspect your punctures are simply bad luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No complaints from me on the stock tire.

Well except in mud, but that is kind of a given for the type of tire it is.

I changed mine around 12k miles but probably could have safely gotten another 3-5k of nice weather out of it. I dont stick to nice weather days, so I changed early.

·
Registered
288 Posts
On my 3rd set of Battlewings... nearly 25,000 miles and counting.. Haven't experienced any punctures/flats... Have experienced very good performance in wet & dry and great longevity. There are other exceptional street tires though.. If your confidence in the Battlewings is shaken, why not try some Pilot Roads or Pirelli Angel GT's...

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Erock, I just replaced the tires on my '14 DL1K, and I went with the oem Bridgestone BattleWings--I like the ride and handling, havnt gotten a flat on the 1st pair, 7500 miles at the change.
I dont know if youre aware, but there are different BattleWings for specific motorcycles. Different letter suffixes depending on brand and model. It took some searching through parts catalogs to find this.
BW 502 J Rear
My DL1000A also has this "J-Spec" indicated on the tag on the swingarm. Trouble was finding someone that sells the J-Spec. I did find one motorcycle tire retailer (on-line and specializes in motorcycle tires) and called them to ask what the difference in the specs are. The answer was "manufacturer specific requirements" with a sub-answer of "tread depth". Not sure how reliable that last part is.

·
Premium Member
4,419 Posts
My DL1000A also has this "J-Spec" indicated on the tag on the swingarm. Trouble was finding someone that sells the J-Spec. I did find one motorcycle tire retailer (on-line and specializes in motorcycle tires) and called them to ask what the difference in the specs are. The answer was "manufacturer specific requirements" with a sub-answer of "tread depth". Not sure how reliable that last part is.
It was my understanding the major difference is the "x" spec was the tread depth. There were a couple of minor differences too. Bridgestone use to have a page on the tire Type/Specs on their website but it has been removed or at least I can't find it anymore.

From my notes:

Specs per Type for Battlewings:

BW501 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 59V / 3.9 / 8 / 2.15
E / 59V / 4.3 / 6 / 2.50
J / 59H / 4.3 / 5 / 2.50

BW502 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 69V / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50
E / 69V / 6.1 / 10 / 3.50-4.50
J / 69H / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50

PS: tread depth is measured in 32nd's

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I did the paperclip thing a long time ago too. PITA.
I got a bit of chip seal rock in a well worn Shinko too. New tires seem good but a big ol' nail in Park City construction area took out a brand new 023 too.
I recently had a bolt take out another Shinko. Wah.
Cover enough ground and you may have a few mishaps.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
You're just unlucky.

This is well-proven to be a long-lasting tire that works very well on pavement and is decidedly mediocre off-pavement.

I don't really remember how many sets of these I've worn out, but they've been on my Vee a lot more than any other tire for 80,000-ish miles.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I was able to purchase the oem J-spec Battlewings by going to one of my local dealerships. Buried in their Tucker Rocky catalog was a chart that showed specific motorcycles and the oem-specific tires as supplied by Bridgestone.
I had them in 2 days at a huge discount.

Yes, you can buy them from the manufacturer's dealership under a part number, but they are usually exorbitantly priced. Years ago when I questioned my Kaw ZRX's dealership about the bump in price buying an oem tire from them, I was told: "We're not in the tire business. We have tires in the Kawasaki parts system for warranty purposes."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts